PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Microsoft

SuperMike
March 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but thank you, Microsoft, for this video:

http://conbug.com/microsofts-vision-in-2019-is-amazing

It gives us Linux guys something to think about reproducing in our own way, but better, cheaper, faster to market, run more secure, and more reliably, as well as think of our own innovations along the way. And doing it with a different sales model than Microsoft's, and with open source.

Firestem4
March 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Very cool video. Thanks for posting.

I enjoy watching these types of video's that try to imagine what things will look like in the future. I've seen one or two videos like these from Cisco and the like. They're fun to watch.

However I hold my breath because as All of us should know. The future is NEVER what is expected. 10 years ago, the world was nothing like it is today. and the same with 10 years before that. In 10 years we may surpass whats in the video.

Although i'd love to see such a clean and intuitive interface like that someday. But I hope to god it doesn't suffer from the blue screen. (Though it would be pretty funny).

howlingmadhowie
March 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM

It gives us Linux guys something to think about reproducing in our own way, but better, cheaper, faster to market, run more secure, and more reliably, as well as think of our own innovations along the way. And doing it with a different sales model then Microsoft's, and with open source.

so basically, you're thanking microsoft for producing a marketing video for the microsoft future (TM). what i see in the video are old ideas which just require processing power to work. microsoft seems to think that the processing power will finally be available in 10 years. for some of the things this is maybe true, but not for all of them.

gnomeuser
March 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
That looks an awful lot like Intel's concept video for Moblin:

http://blip.tv/file/813619/

jerrrys
March 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
a glimpse into the future..nice..10 years ago this video would of been SiFi

Tux Aubrey
March 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
That looks an awful lot like Intel's concept video for Moblin:

http://blip.tv/file/813619/

I hadn't seen that. Thanks!

mihai.ile
March 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Don't you guys know that the best way to predit the future is to make it yourself?
Start implementing your ideas about the future...

JDorfler
March 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
So, the vision of the future involves a lot of Windex and static free paper towels? Interesting.

NintendoTogepi
March 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Regardless of Microsoft's suckage, the video IS pretty cool.

damis648
March 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I just hope all of these will be Linux compatible. :popcorn:

lukjad
March 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM

This is scary. First, think about it. The amount of file sharing that is going on is going to be HUGE, and since it has to be fast and simple, it must all be running on the same platform. That means that everything must be running Microsoft.

Secondly, imagine the impact of a virus. Remember those Y2K fears about your lights being out or the Microchip in your coffee maker dying and you having no coffee when you wake up? (GASP! And it was a real (stupid and not realistic) fear people had.) Well, there you have it. You get up, and your door won't open, your car won't start, and the phone isn't there and you can't e-mail anyone. All your lights keep flashing to the Disco beat, and your surround sound music player is playing William Shatner music EVERYWHERE.

Third, I am just not comfortable with that much computer usage. If it's hard to get away from it all now with pagers, beeper, Blackberries, cellphones, e-mail, etc. what about then? Notice how in the video the woman walks into her house, and the computer identifies her, and tracks her. Yeesh.

No, I'm sorry, but unless it is in a sci-fi novel, I don't want it. And that novel better be made out of paper too.

EDIT: Fixed.

Bodsda
March 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
If it is microsoft doing all that fancy stuff in ten years wont it all break when they release the next service pack? Or we could just Google for known newspaper bugs to exploit.

ibuclaw
March 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
IMO, I seriously doubt we'll be even remotely close to that level of technology in 10 years time ... let alone ever.

Yes, devices are getting smaller as the world is moving from heavy Desktops to embedded devices, such as Netbooks (which Linux currently has a leading edge in).

But in all seriousness, what we will really have is a better, more feature enriched blackberry/ipod with more memory in... and maybe the EeePC-OMG series will hit the market with a quad-core Intel Quark that runs at 2.1GHz clockspeed, and not to forget a better NVIDIA GFX equivalent (I have read that they are releasing their own Atom-like card).

My judgment ... 99.99% of that video was just PR.

Regards
Iain

Bodsda
March 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah it is unlikely we will have newspapers like that and given microsofts track record of releasing stable quality software I think we can safely say that that video is not going to happen in the next ten years and wont happen for them for at least 20 years

feelshift
March 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Nice videos :p

Taiebot65
March 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
What the point of all this I hope my life will not be tracked analysed and filed in a database for corporate company who will make statistics about my shopping attitude...Internet opened my eyes to the rules of this world thanks to ubuntu and the free software....

Sealbhach
March 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yes, I'm not too keen on the surveillance aspect of this video.

tad1073
March 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

EDIT: For some reason I can't get the [quote] tags working. Must be some kind of Microsoft conspiracy or something... ;)You forgot the / at the beginning of the closing tag.

lukjad
March 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks. ;)

Skripka
March 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, I'm not too keen on the surveillance aspect of this video.

Microsoft, I mean, Big Brother is watching...

bryncoles
March 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
This is scary.

Notice how in the video the woman walks into her house, and the computer identifies her, and tracks her. Yeesh.

yeah, i really REALLY didnt like that either. there are terrifying implications should this come true, especially given the (UK) governments current obsession with archiving every trivial aspect of everyones life, 'just in sace'.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Swagman
March 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm STILL waiting for my Anti-Grav car. They promised me we would ALL have one by the year 2000 and we could party like it's 1999

Skripka
March 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm STILL waiting for my Anti-Grav car. They promised me we would ALL have one by the year 2000 and we could party like it's 1999

I'm still waiting on out Moon Base that was promised us for 1999.

Bölvağur
March 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
This is truly scary video. With that much data flow between systems it is impossible to have more than 4 hour uptime unless if the system is bug free and there are no viruses at all or any hacking attempts.... yeah sure.

Most of this video focuses on fancy graphics and useless features. So it's basically like compiz with only cube and wobbly and none of the useful compiz features.

But I really liked the Moblin video. It is human centric where there was no "look at my futuristic useless effect... I got blinking lights in the background"...

sydbat
March 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Not to sound all "break out the tin foil hats" or anything, but what I found disturbing about this video is the reliance on the technology (yes, and the surveillance aspect too).

Technology is a good thing...as long as we control it. It becomes a very bad thing when we allow it to control us.

That is what I got from the video.

gymophett
March 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
This is amazing, but I have a feeling this won't be happening by 2019.
But this makes me a bit paranoid, we're going to be tracked and what not DX.

BobLand
March 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hey,
10 years from now, MicroSoft may be a distant memory of a company that used to be. No one is infallible. What is surprising is how long MS has held on.

bobland

JackieChan
March 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm absolutely dreading the excessive touch screen that will be in the future. Things are going to get dirty, fast. Heck, I can't even keep my DS screens clean. I'm going to do things more traditionally when technology advances. ^_^

k2t0f12d
March 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm all for technology, but I don't want to live in 1984. Otherwise, I would move to North Korea.

markusf21
March 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Never Happen. Microsoft can't make anything work that reliably.

swoll1980
March 3rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Intel, and AMD will decide if this stuff will be around in 2019, Microsoft has little influence over things like this I would think.

lykwydchykyn
March 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
What would really make the future exciting is if all this cool flashy tech were based on open standards that any vendor could innovate around without the threat of lawsuits or massive licensing fees.

Somehow I'm not looking to microsoft for that.

tom66
March 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Until we get superthin computers which can be held in one hand with a battery which lasts a good few hours (10 hours+ to a day), and can actually sustain the animations, effects and the metaphors used without freezing to a halt or draining the battery... Oh and you must be able to hold on to the screen module without cracking it with excessive force or confusing the touch sensing features.

Onoskelis
March 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM

It gives us Linux guys something to think about reproducing in our own way, but better, cheaper, faster to market, run more secure, and more reliably, as well as think of our own innovations along the way. And doing it with a different sales model then Microsoft's, and with open source.

So you're saying Linux can only rip off other people's ideas, instead of innovating?

Doesn't seem like something someone should be proud of.

Skripka
March 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Until we get superthin computers which can be held in one hand with a battery which lasts a good few hours (10 hours+ to a day), and can actually sustain the animations, effects and the metaphors used without freezing to a halt or draining the battery... Oh and you must be able to hold on to the screen module without cracking it with excessive force or confusing the touch sensing features.

Don't worry-at a minimum all computers of the future will have a minimum of three keys: Crtl, Alt, and ....

Sealbhach
March 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM
The future ain't what it used to be:

http://weburbanist.com/2009/03/02/retrofuture-space-flight-15-visions-of-future-past/

http://weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/retro_space_11.jpg

lukjad
March 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
True. I really hope we never get to many of the "futures" people seem to see.

gaffurabi
March 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
the future will be full of bugs :-#

cmat
March 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
That's no future it's 1984, everyone is carded and their movements are tracked. D: Glad MS cares so much about people's privacy.

lukjad
March 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
the future will be full of bugs :-#
So, you're saying the future is now? ;)

EnGorDiaz
March 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
linux already has that look

limeos something that is worth downloading

http://www.mtcera.com/product/index.html

bryncoles
March 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
So, you're saying the future is now? ;)

no, that was the past. the future is....

wait for it...

NOW.

(i hope you didnt miss it)

Giant Speck
March 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Thank you, India
Thank you, terror
Thank you, disillusionment
Thank you, frailty
Thank you, consequence
Thank you, thank you silence!

lukjad
March 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
no, that was the past. the future is....

wait for it...

NOW.

(i hope you didnt miss it)
If you said now, was now when I read it, or when you posted it, or when you stylized Now, or when you typed Now, or when you typed N, or when you hit the Shift key...?

Giant Speck
March 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If you said now, was now when I read it, or when you posted it, or when you stylized Now, or when you typed Now, or when you typed N, or when you hit the Shift key...?

Or when your finger reached for the Shift key? Or when your brain sent a signal to your finger to reach for the Shift key? Or when your brain came up with the idea of pressing the Shift key?

Skripka
March 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Or when your finger reached for the Shift key? Or when your brain sent a signal to your finger to reach for the Shift key? Or when your brain came up with the idea of pressing the Shift key?

My head hurts.

lykwydchykyn
March 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
It's simple:
first there is a mountain
then there is no mountain
then there is.

got it?

orethrius
March 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
My head hurts.

It's really quite simple.

We're at now now.

What happened to then?

We passed it.

When?

Just now.

:)

lukjad
March 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Oh... that clears it up.

ibuclaw
March 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thank you, India
Thank you, terror
Thank you, disillusionment
Thank you, frailty
Thank you, consequence
Thank you, thank you silence!

Thank you Steve Wilson :)

lyceum
March 12th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I did not read the whole thread, so I may be repeating. Why are we thanking MS for making something we saw in numerous sci-fi movies? That video is exactly what I wanted to do what I got into web design. There is nothing new there.

jflaker
March 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Shift Happens
*by 2013 a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the capability of the human brain
*Predictions are, that by 2049, a $1000 computer will exceed the computational capability of the entire human race.

the8thstar
March 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
If they carry this out by 2019, blind people will be socially dead.

Primefalcon
March 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
hmm I forwarding that moblin thing around, that looks cool

Aries-Belgium
March 12th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Nice marketing video :P

But I think that the Microsoft empire will be over. At least I hope so ;) The MS Windows market share dropped last year with more than 2%. I think this trend will continue the next few years when Windows XP support will officially end. A lot of governments and firms are already switching to Linux.

Also, when you look at Windows 7 they aren't moving forward but actually backward. It's just a cross of Windows XP and Vista. This to win the last XP users over again. Microsoft can't simply do something innovative because innovation means taking risks and Microsoft doesn't want to take risks if this means a profit loss. OSS dares to innovate. Look at KDE4. Of course there are some users that don't like the new look and feel but a lot of users love it. That's with everything. The KDE team took a risk and they didn't know if this would backfire in their face or not. Microsoft wants certainty that they will make money on their products. Their greed will eventually kill them.

Giant Speck
March 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you Steve Wilson :)

Meh, I prefer the original.

Swagman
March 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Shift Happens
*by 2013 a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the capability of the human brain
*Predictions are, that by 2049, a $1000 computer will exceed the computational capability of the entire human race.

And no doubt they'll find the answer is 42 and then bulldoze Earth for a Intergalactic Superhighway.

I'll see you all in the Bar at the end of the Universe. I'm ordering gargleblasters.

Giant Speck
March 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
If they carry this out by 2019, blind people will be socially dead.

So technological innovation has to take a back seat because it isn't fair to blind people?

cmat
March 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It actually can help them...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/606938.stm

Mr. Picklesworth
March 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
It actually can help them...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/606938.stm

Except hopefully without that really gross wires coming out of hole in skull part. That gives me the shivers.

thisllub
March 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Of course it will happen.

The key features;
animated drawings - don't know
realtime conversation translations - cool
surface displays - in demonstration phase
electronic boarding cards - probably already available
transparent displays - in demonstration phase
mini projectors - available
The electronic newspaper - Kindle anyone. We went from black and white monitors to colour lcd in about 5 years.

Of course by then about 4 billion people will still be without a clean water supply or enough food.

Giant Speck
March 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Gah. This thread keeps popping up as unread and I've read every single post in it!

MikeTheC
March 14th, 2009, 01:24 AM
It's just Microsoft trying to convince businesses and individuals that they're "indispensable". What a load of crap.

Thanks, though, for sharing something that lets us see what the enemy is up to.

SuperMike
March 14th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Here are some areas I think where we can be working with Linux that is realistic and a step towards what Microsoft shows in their video, and in a cheaper, community-driven way.

- Clear LCD displays that include a touch screen (http://www.geek.com/articles/consumer/clear-lcd-display-in-development-2007079/)

- A new Qt or GTK based desktop and file system that reacts in fluid interface ways with things like bumping, sliding, snapping into place, etc.

- Applications that let you use touch gestures on them to maximize, minimize, or resize.

- Even more enhanced applications that let you bump, slide, or snap items into place.

- Limited verbal interaction with a desktop, and receiving a vocal, slightly random response back based on fuzzy logic AI and natural learning. For instance, telling your desktop to find something on the desktop, load an app, minimize it, switch it to an alternate desktop, find something on Google, find something on Wikipedia, and so on.

I don't think we're that far off from these technologies, today.

But whatever we do, these technologies need to be by our opt-in, only. We do not need RFID chips on our driver's licenses activating ads as we walk by, or announcing our previous criminal status (that protest you did back in '73) and so on. Down with RFID chips.

HuaiDan
March 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Supermarkets full of popup ads? No thanks, I'm moving to the mountains of Peru if that ever happens.

Giant Speck
March 14th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Supermarkets full of popup ads? No thanks, I'm moving to the mountains of Peru if that ever happens.

I don't think it was showing a supermarket full of popup ads. I think that part of the video was just showing what was on the lady's handheld device. It was showing how, with the device, you could walk into a supermarket and it would rearrange the items on your shopping list according to where the items are located in the store, saving you time while shopping.

Also, this is actually the first time I have watched the video, and I must say I really really love the music they used for it. :)

the8thstar
March 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
So technological innovation has to take a back seat because it isn't fair to blind people?

Of course not. But the video presents tools that rely only/mostly on vision. Blind people can't catch up unless different technologies are developed for them. That's what I was trying to say.

Mehall
March 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
For all those worried about viruses, weaknesses, etc, etc, I refer you to an Isaac Asimov story from a good 30/40 years ago. Synopsis:

There was a guy who, whenever he went to use a computer, got a searing headache and had to back off.

Now, in this time, everything was done by computer.

Guy sees a kid outside a restaurant, asks him if he's wanting something.

Kid says he does, but he has no money, so the guy lets the kid use his account (unlimited money, but the guy can;t use it, as everything, including ordering food, is done via computer)

Basically kids dad hears about this, and is a lawyer.

Turns out the guy had committed a major computer crime, and his punishment was to be unable to use a computer due to the aforementioned headaches for a month.

it had been 3 days and the guy hadn't managed to eat once till he met the kid.

Basically, in a culture where something is so essential, those who break that are punished by being unable to use it, meaning they cannot function inside the society.

Cope57
March 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
From past experience, I would guess and say the video was created on a Mac.

Giant Speck
March 14th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Of course not. But the video presents tools that rely only/mostly on vision. Blind people can't catch up unless different technologies are developed for them. That's what I was trying to say.

Sorry, I kind of took your post too seriously. Or maybe I took it the wrong way. One of those two.

*nervous laugh*

tsali
March 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Everyone seems to have missed THE major theme of the video...that the computer technology becomes so ubiquitous that we become free of the GADGET.

The moblin is failure out of the gate...I don't want to tote around another "gadget".

I want a world where information services recognize me when I want to be recognized.

My wife works in a major medical center. The medicine is high tech, but information management is terrible. What if a patient's chart was available at any bed or room by command? What if that patient's location in the hospital was continuously tracked? What if chart updates could be made by voice real time? Imagine a unified patient information center.

Suppose 200 people are working in a power plant or oil refinery. Wouldn't you want to know where they were at all times in case of an emergency?

Or perhaps, children in a school? A system could immediately notify you if they aren't where they should be.

What about the GM OnStar crash notification system? That's wonderful technology...

What if your media play lists were available to you all the time? Say, you build one on your home media center and it automatically syncs to your car system, portable or even to the treadmill at the gym?

Microsoft is trying to show us what leaving the "gadget" behind might look like. I think that's pretty cool.

dragos240
March 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM
It's interesting.... but it looks as though it will be microsoft only..... *sigh*, if this were for linux, oh how awesome that would be...

the8thstar
March 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Everyone seems to have missed THE major theme of the video...that the computer technology becomes so ubiquitous that we become free of the GADGET.

The moblin is failure out of the gate...I don't want to tote around another "gadget".

I want a world where information services recognize me when I want to be recognized.

My wife works in a major medical center. The medicine is high tech, but information management is terrible. What if a patient's chart was available at any bed or room by command? What if that patient's location in the hospital was continuously tracked? What if chart updates could be made by voice real time? Imagine a unified patient information center.

Suppose 200 people are working in a power plant or oil refinery. Wouldn't you want to know where they were at all times in case of an emergency?

Or perhaps, children in a school? A system could immediately notify you if they aren't where they should be.

What about the GM OnStar crash notification system? That's wonderful technology...

What if your media play lists were available to you all the time? Say, you build one on your home media center and it automatically syncs to your car system, portable or even to the treadmill at the gym?

Microsoft is trying to show us what leaving the "gadget" behind might look like. I think that's pretty cool.

That sounds like more and more control to me. Not everything can be monitored. And not everything should because it goes against freedom. Even in the name of security or flexibility.