PDA

View Full Version : Can't find documentation for python 3.0

Terminating.proprietary
March 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I am aware, though I don't know why exactly, that many of you on this forum shy away from python 3.0. Apparently you find something better in the older versions or don't like the changes in 3.0. I, however, am completely new to programming anything. In fact, I don't even know what I would do if I could use python well. Sooo....you can see it doesn't matter to me, since I am, at this point, relatively ignorant, the differences between old and new python. I figure if changes will continue into python eventually to a version 4.0 I should learn what is current. It makes no sense for me to learn the older version, because by the time I do many users will have adopted 3.0

So here is my predicament: Since the majority of Python users are slow to adopt python 3.0 there is a serious lack of documentation. The only decent resource I have found updated for 3.0 is the new edition of "A Byte of Python." I am working on this book, but what do I do when I am finished, clearly I won't just "know" the language from reading this book. I need something else, supplements for now, and documentation to continue my learning. If anyone can help links would be very much appreciated.

jpeddicord
March 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
I honestly don't think there is a better reference than the official Python documentation:

http://docs.python.org/3.0/tutorial/

That was last updated on Feb 14 as well, and it's pretty comprehensive.

rharriso
March 3rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
You could also use the pydocs. I believe they come installed with Ubuntu now.

Just type in

pydoc

to the terminal and it'll tell you what to do.

Terminating.proprietary
March 3rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Wow, thanks for the fast responses. I will check out both of these things tomorrow, for now, it's of to bed.