PDA

View Full Version : Linux now commands a 0.88% share

I-75
March 3rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=121

I thought by now we would have made bigger advances than this.

Grant A.
March 3rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Not bad, it was 0.64% 3 months ago.

FuturePilot
March 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
OS market share is impossible to determine accurately.

smartboyathome
March 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
OS market share is impossible to determine accurately.

Especially open source/free operating system market share, since they don't actually "sell" it and have no way of really knowing how many people use it.

Ozor Mox
March 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
I agree with those who say market share is impossible to determine. I think W3Counter (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) is probably the closest to a reliable estimation though.

MountainX
March 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I agree with those who say market share is impossible to determine. I think W3Counter (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) is probably the closest to a reliable estimation though.

The W3Counter trends over time are interesting too.

oldsoundguy
March 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
and who is to determine just how many installs are done from a single burn? I have used 8.04 a minimum of 8 times and 8.10 a minimum of 5 times.
Unlike Windows, I did not have to go through "mother may I" every time!

And what about that dual boot machine? Does that register as WINDOWS even though the user is on Linux when on line?

blastus
March 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
I noticed that XBox is not on the list. Can you not browse the Internet with an XBox? Or is that just counted as a Windows machine?

Simian Man
March 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM
And what about that dual boot machine? Does that register as WINDOWS even though the user is on Linux when on line?

Web counters will obviously count the system you are currently using. Personally I don't care about Linux marketshare. In fact I am perfectly happy here on the fringe :).

kk0sse54
March 3rd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I noticed that XBox is not on the list. Can you not browse the Internet with an XBox? Or is that just counted as a Windows machine?

It shouldn't especially with mine running GentooX :D

blastus
March 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
In the last 10 months Windows market share came down over 3%. If this continues Windows market share may dip below 80% in the next five years!

It shouldn't especially with mine running GentooX :D

:lolflag:

Twitch6000
March 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
In the last 10 months Windows market share came down over 3%. If this continues Windows market share may dip below 80% in the next five years!

:lolflag:

If it dips below 80% in the next five years even with windows 7 I see mac becoming number 1 real soon. This is coming from a non mac user too btw.

Sealbhach
March 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I'm seeing more and more Macbooks all the time here in London. It's become very noticeable over the past year.

k2t0f12d
March 3rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
I check the net apps site every month, too, waiting for it to top 1%.

It doesn't mean as much as ppl might think it does. Consider that the percentage is a slice of pie that is constantly growing. Linux was right on top of 1% a few months ago on that site. The backslide doesn't mean a bunch of people switched to Mac or PC. We probably had a bunch of new hardware sales at Christmas which changed the entire landscape of the userbase yet again. Windows and Mac are always going to be duking that one out, with only marginal changes in Linux share, because they are selling the hardware that comes preinstalled with those systems. What few systems come preinstalled with Linux aren't as attractive.

The fact that its on those boards with little or no sales channel at all is proof that it has had some success. Either those in the pubic who have already bought a PC or Mac need to become so desperate to get away from those systems that they demand a Linux installation or, we need to sell preinstalled hardware that is at least desirable as a PC or Mac in order to change the average proportions of these sorts of statistics.

k2t0f12d
March 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
I'm seeing more and more Macbooks all the time here in London. It's become very noticeable over the past year.

Mac is all over NZ, too. I noticed they are product placement in more shows, too, like the world-famous in New Zealand Shortland Street and the hit series, Dr. House.

Simian Man
March 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Also keep in mind that growth/decay rates tend to be exponential in nature :).

smartboyathome
March 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Also keep in mind that growth/decay rates tend to be exponential in nature :).

I was just going to say that! :P

utnubuuser
March 3rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Always nice to know you're in the top .8%.

I-75
March 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
At least we beat the I-Phone!

tgalati4
March 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
.64 to .88 in 3 months is 150% per year.

Phenomenal!

blueshiftoverwatch
March 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
I thought by now we would have made bigger advances than this.
Same here, I estimated Linux to have at least 2%.

Especially open source/free operating system market share, since they don't actually "sell" it and have no way of really knowing how many people use it.
The same could be said about Windows to a certain extent also. Since many users download bootlegged copies and use a key generator instead of buying a boxed copy. Especially in countries like China where disregard for copyright law is rampant.

oldsoundguy
March 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
gee, you guys and gals must be getting your figures from an MS site!

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

lykwydchykyn
March 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM
gee, you guys and gals must be getting your figures from an MS site!

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

OP was sourcing net applications, which despite being inexplicably accepted by the industry (by journalists, at least) as some kind of authority, is known to be skewed in various ways.