PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 8.10

FoXoF
March 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hey,

I'm an experienced windows XP user who refuses to upgrade to Vista. I dont like where windows is going so I tried out the 8.10 boot cd. I was pleasantly surprised at how much ubuntu can actually do compared to the mainstream leader, windows. So I decided to wipe my spare 80gb hard drive and install ubuntu 8.10.

I have two 80GB hard-drives in my computer. One of them is empty, the other has windows XP on it.

When I use the installer I successfully get up to the "Checking Battery State" part. At which point the screen flashes a few times for about 20 seconds and then displays an error message about something todo with display failing 6 times in last 90 seconds.

I have tried various solutions to this problem, running in safe graphics mode, running in OEM install mode.

I have also used the following command line options using F6 on the installer:

acpi_osi="Linux"
"acpi=force pci=noacpi"
"acpi=off"

Should the '--' that is at the end of the command line be left there? When I used to command line options I left it there. I ask this as I am aware that in some programming languages it is used to denote a comment. Thus my command line options may have been ignored.
None of them helped.

I have these main components in my pc:

nVidia GeForce 9800gtx+
Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer Edition
Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2.01 GHz)
1GB DDR ram

Help would be seriously appreciated as I'd love to use ubuntu as an alternative to windows but I just can't install it successfully.

avtolle
March 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I believe you are running into a problem with your graphics card during the installation. Have you tried the alternate cd iso (uses a text based installer, and avoids many problems with graphics cards) to get installed. I recall seeing more than one thread involving your card, perhaps a Google search with the card name and Ubuntu will get you to a helpful post or site which can get you going (often works better than the search function on the forum).

EDIT: While you are not upgrading to 8.10 from an earlier release, I wonder whether desktop effects being on by default is causing the problem, as documented in the release notes for upgrades. I don't know how to "turn them off" to allow installation from the Live CD. Hopefully, someone else will be able to get you going in the right direction.

FoXoF
March 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the other install cd. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.

avtolle
March 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the other install cd. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.
I've had another thought; the alternate CD may be able to get the system installed, but at that point you may have a problem getting booted up. However, try it and see if you get the system installed, and then hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can help you get around any further problems which might arise.