PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new install. trying to do it clean. looking for pointers

b.mulqueen
March 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
hey pretty new to unbuntu. my home pc, i have dual dual boot system. it seems my drives didnt mount properly(can not partion correctly) im looking to install gusty agian with the drive mounted properly, so to partion the drive afterward. no dual boot. with in the future running vm ware for a copy of windows.

hoping to be pointed in the easiest and right direction to do this.
i am semi computer savy, with a lack of experience with ubuntu.

any help is appreciated.

thanx branden

67GTA
March 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Are you trying to partition a hard drive that is currently in use? To be able to partition a drive, it must be unmounted and not in use. Use your Ubuntu live CD to partition your hard drive.

b.mulqueen
March 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Are you trying to partition a hard drive that is currently in use? To be able to partition a drive, it must be unmounted and not in use. Use your Ubuntu live CD to partition your hard drive.

do you think that is better idea, the a fresh reinstall. only reason i ask is ive tried to follow guides for certian things, i feel ive f-ed up along the way.

i will give the live cd a try, and update

67GTA
March 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
I don't think I understand what your asking. If you can tell me what errors you are getting, or what exactly your having trouble with, I will try to help. Unless you have really screwed something up, you should not have to reinstall.

b.mulqueen
March 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
when i run a couple processes it is slower than when i initially installed. as a matter of fact. could you tell my how trough symnatic i would find, only installed stuff?

thanx

67GTA
March 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
What is your system specs? When you open synaptic, look at the lower left corner and select the "status" button. Then in the top left corner, select "Installed". This will show only currently installed apps.

b.mulqueen
March 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
What is your system specs? When you open synaptic, look at the lower left corner and select the "status" button. Then in the top left corner, select "Installed". This will show only currently installed apps.

is there any way to filter, what is critical to ubuntu? thanx for scorching a noob. i appreciate it.

b.mulqueen
March 5th, 2009, 03:21 AM
i ended up, after 10hours of trying to partition my original os. started a fresh install. learned how partition. i couldnt be happier. got my system running nice. and am enjoying a wonderful journey, now that i am over my learning curve stage.

thanx guys this stuff rocks, next for me is vmware,

is it hard? i tried once months ago(work computer, so i didnt get much time in) with no luck.