PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving to Ubuntu

FraggedLocust
March 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm looking to move to Ubuntu full time, and I was wondering what i need to know before removing my windows partition. I have XP installed under virtualbox, because I'll need access to Visual Studio 2008 and MS Office.

-- My main question is, will i need to repair GRUB?
-- Does VS 2008 work well on XP? haven't tried it yet.
-- How would I go about making Ubuntu the primary partition (not logical), allowing access to the rest of the unpartitioned space on the drive?

So I've managed to resize the windows partition to a minimum size and get most of the disk space onto ubuntu, that's a start.

ranch hand
March 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Grub should work if it is installed on your linux partition. When I left Vista there was no dual boot involved so i don't know where you would put it.

I need be you can install grub from your live CD anywhere you may want it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Copy paste that in your browser and it probably has any answer you need. If not the forums are here to help.

I like one extended partition on a HDD. It is more flexible. If you want to chnge your partitions I would save your Home folder and start over with a fresh partition by cfdisk as you will probably have a problem getting gparted to get rid of you primary and thenm you are stuck with that size or smaller.

I don't have a clue what VS is, therefore I will not comment. Oh WOW, now I know why I am not in polly ticks.