PDA

View Full Version : I feel neglected by mozilla team

cb951303
March 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Does anyone else think XUL has terrible GTK support?

Things that I saw in only 2 minutes of thunderbird using:
*No native looking tabs
*No native looking grid selection box(!)
*Wrongly sized widgets
*Overlapping frames *everywhere*
*Nonexistent contour on some widgets

Funny that the windows version looks superb ](*,)
EDIT: Please view the screenshot in actual size

Tibuda
March 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Me too. That's why I use Epiphany.

cb951303
March 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Me too. That's why I use Epiphany.

I want to use it so bad but unfortunately I need my firefox addons :/

Eisenwinter
March 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Only some of what you highlighted looks out of place, the rest appears fine.

But then again, I don't use thunderbird anyway, or any mail client for that matter, so I can't comment first-hand.

gnomeuser
March 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
It's been obvious for years that Mozilla really doesn't care about Linux users. We are consistently second class citizens because we don't make out a big market for them and regardless they already saturate that market about 80%.. why bother, it's obviously good enough for us.

http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2008/12/30/on-firefox-as-the-free-software-mascot/
(feel free to search the rest of the blog for Firefox or mozilla)

lykwydchykyn
March 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
If you really want to feel neglected, try using firefox under KDE.

Ozor Mox
March 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
This really bothered me when I first switched to Ubuntu. I'd been using Firefox on Windows for a long time and couldn't understand why a whole load of polish had disappeared in the transition, especially since I thought of Firefox as a flagship FOSS product, and that it would surely be even better on Ubuntu.

Either the situation has got better for Firefox (I don't know about Thunderbird), or I've just got used to it, but I don't really notice this problem anymore (apart from the right click random selection bug only on Ubuntu). I use Firefox on Windows at work as well, so I'm always seeing both versions regularly.

geoken
March 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thunderbird 3, which is based off FF3, has a more native look.

Also, many of your issues also exist in Windows.

geoken
March 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Just looking at the pic again here is a list of similar rendering issues I get in TB3 on Vista.

- Cut off menus in the preference pane and other areas of the UI with certain font/font size setting

- Non-native tabs

- Win2K style elements cropping up in random areas (ie. 'to' field in email composition window)

cb951303
March 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Just looking at the pic again here is a list of similar rendering issues I get in TB3 on Vista.

- Cut off menus in the preference pane and other areas of the UI with certain font/font size setting

- Non-native tabs

- Win2K style elements cropping up in random areas (ie. 'to' field in email composition window)

I didn't use vista but in XP, classic theme, firefox and thunderbird 3 looks 100% flawless except non-native tabs.

cb951303
March 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Only some of what you highlighted looks out of place, the rest appears fine.

But then again, I don't use thunderbird anyway, or any mail client for that matter, so I can't comment first-hand.

comparing to native GTK look all of the parts that I highlighted are different :popcorn: and I'm pretty sure that I can find more. (such as the browse text box having grey background)

cb951303
March 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
If you really want to feel neglected, try using firefox under KDE.

:lolflag: I can't even think how terrible it would look. gtk-qt-engine + xul = fubar

geoken
March 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I didn't use vista but in XP, classic theme, firefox and thunderbird 3 looks 100% flawless except non-native tabs.

You probably don't notice it because the unstyled widgets (like the drop down menu in the 'to' field) look like Win2K/Classic theme widgets so they fit in if you use the classic theme.

If you switched Gnome to it's unstyled theme the same would happen.

happysmileman
March 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Don't worry, at least you don't run KDE.

They only recently even pretended to care about Qt, and I think development quickly dropped off. For the first time Qt code is in the source repository and can be nbuilt, but it's terribly ugly and doesn't render most pages correctly.