PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back to English

Total Noob
March 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 in Korean for somebody else, which is easy even though I don't speak or read Korean myself. All the menus are in Korean, apparently in familiar places, but there is more I need to do.

1. Can I switch the menus back and forth to English so I can administer, ie add packages and updates and install the printer? If so, how?

2, I set up in Korean so they would have a Korean word processor. OO now gives Korean menus, and I heard it can handle Korean for typing, but for now the typing itself is English, even though I did a Korean keyboard set up. Am I supposed to install Korean fonts or additional packages to make it work in Korean? And is there a way to switch languages from the inside or the outside of OO once I get it ready to handle both?

3. How do I set the computer to type Korean into other apps, such as the browser?

4. Where do I buy a keyboard that has Korean letters on it, or maybe blank keys?

Thanks.

Tibuda
March 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
1. You can change your session language before login, in GDM (unless you have enabled auto-login). To start a application with a different language, you can run it from terminal with env. To run Firefox in english, run
env LANG=en firefox

Total Noob
March 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
1. You can change your session language before login, in GDM (unless you have enabled auto-login). To start a application with a different language, you can run it from terminal with env. To run Firefox in english, run
env LANG=en firefox

Is this the thing I do with "sodu" or "sudo" or something like that?

If so, could you walk me thru it, start to finish? I haven't used typed instructions to tell a computer what to do since I stopped using punch cards 30 years ago. I don't know what "being root" or that dollar sign means.

What would the abbreviaton be for Korean?

Also, if the app is Open Office, do I have to mention which of the constituent programs, or does one instruction cover them all? And does it cover the menus as well as the data entry? And did I need to have earlier downloaded fonts or other stuff to make it work? Will it do spell check in Korean or do I have to find a dictionary?

Thanks.