PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Like taskbar...

Sand & Mercury
March 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
...someone's finally done it. :lol:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/STasks?content=99739

Trying it now in KDE 4.2, works almost identically to the Windows 7 implementation. It even has the subtle lighting effect that follows the cursor.

Sorry to those who are sick to death of hearing about Windows 7's new taskbar.

s1300045
March 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I have been using this for quite a while now. It's actually very functional and not buggy at all. I would recommend everyone uses KDE4.2 to give it a try!

binbash
March 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
It is cool not very buggy

Giant Speck
March 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Damn it.

I don't want to use KDE 4.2!

*crosses arms and pouts*

SuperSonic4
March 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
It looks epic :D

Orlsend
March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
KDE never! Even If we can be cool as windows!

Skripka
March 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Damn it.

I don't want to use KDE 4.2!

*crosses arms and pouts*

Fascist Dawg Lover.

kelvin spratt
March 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
The windows version is very old and was freeware for XP a couple of years back so its nothing new at.

Perfect Storm
March 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Going to give it a try.

Skripka
March 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Going to give it a try.

It is kinda neat...thae catch being-the build in AUR doesn't seem to have window grouping as the KDE4.2 taskbar plasmoid does....at least not yet anyway.

Excedio
March 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I just don't understand wanting anything on my computer to be "Like" windows...

That the whole reason of moving to Linux...at least for me it was...

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
What happens to originality when such things crop up?

Bart_D
March 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM

EXACTLY!

Besides, the sight of KDE makes me feel sick.

Skripka
March 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I love it when threads go from talking about something and turn into KDE bashing.....wheeeeeeeeeeee...

Excedio
March 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I love it when threads go from talking about something and turn into KDE bashing.....wheeeeeeeeeeee...

I personally have nothing against KDE, it's a nice operating system, just not of my preference. Is it a bit Windows like...unfortunately in the looks department...yes. However I do still recognize that it NOT Windows, and in fact my wife got her Linux start using KDE, however she is a Gnome girl now.

I think that KDE is great for those people who want to make the switch from Windows, but still want the Windows appearance to make the transition a little easier.

Greg

It's about choice. Something Windows isn't necessarily bad looking. Just because it was made by MS doesn't mean that no one will find it useful. Linux is about choice, and if someone chooses to make it look like W7 because that's their comfort zone, or they feel most efficient with it, that's their perrogative. I hate Apple, but I use cairo-dock. Why? Because I feel that it helps me be more efficient and organized when working. If something inspired by Windows can help you, use it. It's the power of open source.

mips

You know what, you are just a zealot.

There is nothing wrong with taking/copying or whatever you want to call it from one project to another project when the concept is good, practical and usable. I have not tried this yet but I like what I see.

Just because it is a 'MS' thing does not mean it is bad. OSS projects take from each other all the time and people say this is 'good' but as soon as you look at something from MS, Apple etc then it MUST be 'bad'.

I'm sure I can find many things on your desktop that has some resemblance to something Windows, OSX, BeOS, Amiga etc

mips
March 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM

It's normal seeing this is a Gnome forum...

Skripka
March 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
It's normal seeing this is a Gnome forum...

I know, I know...I like reminding the "normals" how stereotypical they can be at times ;)

Rokurosv
March 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think that's awesome, go plasma go :D.

GeneralZod
March 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM

This particular instance seems like it's more a case of "anything you can do, I can do better!"-ism, to me ;)

Excedio
March 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
It's about choice. Something Windows isn't necessarily bad looking. Just because it was made by MS doesn't mean that no one will find it useful. Linux is about choice, and if someone chooses to make it look like W7 because that's their comfort zone, or they feel most efficient with it, that's their perrogative. I hate Apple, but I use cairo-dock. Why? Because I feel that it helps me be more efficient and organized when working. If something inspired by Windows can help you, use it. It's the power of open source.

I never once said "don't use this it's Micro$oft" or anything to that nature. If fact, until just now I never put the $ in place of the s, and did so only to make a point.

I never said it was "bad looking" either or not"useful." I am merely voicing my opinion on the subject, after all this is The Community Cafe. A place where my opinion should not have to have me beaten down.

You know what, you are just a zealot.

There is nothing wrong with taking/copying or whatever you want to call it from one project to another project when the concept is good, practical and usable. I have not tried this yet but I like what I see.

Just because it is a 'MS' thing does not mean it is bad. OSS projects take from each other all the time and people say this is 'good' but as soon as you look at something from MS, Apple etc then it MUST be 'bad'.

I'm sure I can find many things on your desktop that has some resemblance to something Windows, OSX, BeOS, Amiga etc

Dude...take it way down a few notches. I have nothing against what was created here. More power to the person that created it...MS or Marcin Baszczewski. As stated before...I am merely stating my opinion on the subject. If you can't handle that...you can easily skip over my post.

mips
March 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Perfect Storm
March 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
It is kinda neat...thae catch being-the build in AUR doesn't seem to have window grouping as the KDE4.2 taskbar plasmoid does....at least not yet anyway.

Done. I had some time to try it out. It's quite neat actually. It works like normally taskbar, but have more features/options like sorting, only show icons, animations etc. and ofcause which color it should be; while the mouse hooving over the list. So far I have experienced it's rock stable.
Diffently should replace the default one in KDE4.

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/134850/0/kubuntu9.04alpha4-15mar2009pre.png (http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/134849/0/kubuntu9.04alpha4-15mar2009.png)

dragos240
March 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
damn it.

I don't want to use kde 4.2!

*crosses arms and pouts*

+1