PDA

View Full Version : What can people do to promote Internet Freedom?

Farmer of Bricks
March 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
I have an assignment for a Graphic Design class to come up with a poster about a social issue. I chose the Internet Freedom issue because I like my Internet uncensored.
All I'm Asking you for is some things that citizens can do to promote internet freedom.
Donating money to <charity> is already taken.

Onoskelis
March 2nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Contact your local elected officials, and campaign for net neutrality.

Farmer of Bricks
March 2nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
Nah, that's the politicians doing stuff. I'm talking things like hosting Tor Servers, and rehosting backups or mirrors of stuff likely to be taken down.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 2nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
You could use encryption programs like Gnu Privacy Guard (http://www.gnupg.org/) for email and Off-the-Record Messaging (http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/) for instant messaging. Whatever third party entity that you don't want intercepting your messages can't spy on what they can't read. But it only works if you can convince your friends to use use encryption as well. Other wise you won't have anyone to talk to.

handy
March 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Nah, that's the politicians doing stuff. I'm talking things like hosting Tor Servers, and rehosting backups or mirrors of stuff likely to be taken down.

It sounds like your mind is already made up & closed.

Which unfortunately for you, certainly makes it hard for you to learn anything.

Farmer of Bricks
March 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm just talking non-talk-to-the-politicians and non-send-dugh-to-the-organization. I'm open to all other suggestions, especially things that the average windows user could do.

handy
March 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Have a read of the End of the Internet link in my sig' for some insight into what is going on.

Farmer of Bricks
March 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Thank you all for your support.
I was given the option to do a poster an government fiscal irresonsibility, and I took it.

Who is John Galt?

Sporkman
March 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Who is John Galt?

John Galt is the character in a crappy, long-winded diatribe that's masqueraded as a novel, written by the looney far-right ideologue Ayn Rand.