PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Got half way

Grim Tuesday
March 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
So, I'm installing Ubuntu on an old laptop, (P3 700 MHZ, 256 MB) And the Live CD wont usualy boot, so I tried to get an alt install off of the MIT server, and when I burn it to my cd (before you ask, yes I am burning it as an ISO) It wont boot. The default Ubuntu (an old 7.10) that I got from the free CD thing will boot, but cant do a GUI. Right now im trying an OEM install.

But back to my current problem: Somehow I managed to get the LiveCD to work. I then tried to install. It got far enought to reformat, then stopped at 20% copying files. It said something about coppupted files, and that I should cool the CD drive, or HDD better. I checked the disc for defects, so its not the CD. I am currently left with a plastic/silicon piece of junk, because Ubuntu got far enought to nuke ME (well... Im not so sad about that :P)

I am curious as to how I can get ubuntu on this old piece of junk and make it useful!

oldos2er
March 2nd, 2009, 03:58 AM
Try the alternate CD. The LiveCD requires a minimum 384MB RAM.

damis648
March 2nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
So, I'm installing Ubuntu on an old laptop, (P3 700 MHZ, 256 MB) And the Live CD wont usualy boot, so I tried to get an alt install off of the MIT server, and when I burn it to my cd (before you ask, yes I am burning it as an ISO) It wont boot. The default Ubuntu (an old 7.10) that I got from the free CD thing will boot, but cant do a GUI. Right now im trying an OEM install.

But back to my current problem: Somehow I managed to get the LiveCD to work. I then tried to install. It got far enought to reformat, then stopped at 20% copying files. It said something about coppupted files, and that I should cool the CD drive, or HDD better. I checked the disc for defects, so its not the CD. I am currently left with a plastic/silicon piece of junk, because Ubuntu got far enought to nuke ME (well... Im not so sad about that :P)

I am curious as to how I can get ubuntu on this old piece of junk and make it useful!

Did you check the MD5SUM of both the CDs?

Grim Tuesday
March 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM
Try the alternate CD. The LiveCD requires a minimum 384MB RAM.

Did you read my post? It clearly states that i downloaded the ALTENATE version

Also, I assume that when you do the MD55 checksum, it is the same as when you do the thingy in the menu "Check CD for defects"

oldos2er
March 2nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Did you read my post? It clearly states that i downloaded the ALTENATE version

Also, I assume that when you do the MD55 checksum, it is the same as when you do the thingy in the menu "Check CD for defects"

Missed the alternate part, sorry. Here's info on md5sum: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM