PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Having hardware issues with Xubuntu

pentium_3
March 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Hi, I'm new to Linux, so please be understanding :P

My brother had a Windows XP computer that he just couldn't stop from screwing up constantly. I don't know what it is with some people and Windows, but I got sick of the nonstop problems (and me having to fix them) and I just wiped the troubled Windows partition and installed Xubuntu. Now, this is a pretty old machine (bought in October 2000), so Ubuntu or Kubuntu were not options. So far, I was amazed to see most of the hardware working, but some basic problems plague an otherwise perfect computer.

First, and most pressing, is the lack of sound. The computer recognizes the sound card (SoundBlaster Live!) and even offers a bunch of options for it under the sound control panel, but so far only the IBM speaker inside the computer is working, offering little more than simple beeps. My brother loves Youtube and Music, so this is a very bad development. Next is the issue of the graphics card. The Card is an ATI Rage 128 with 32 MB of memory, plugged into the AGP slot. It displays just fine when using the operating system, but on boot up, I cannot see the Xubuntu splash screen; the monitor claims that "Input signal is out of range". Though not super-bad, this is an annoyance and I would like to know how to fix it.

Any help on any of these problems would be much appreciated.