PDA

View Full Version : Which Laptop Should I Buy?

Maheriano
March 2nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
I want to order this Monday or Tuesday.

I refuse to buy a HP with the issues I've had with their machines so the ones I'm looking at now are Asus, Acer, Toshiba and Dell. Anyone know if any of these companies outsource to India besides Dell? I already know Dell do and a super shady company there as well. My budget is what I sold my old one for, $1137 but I'm still trying to keep costs down. I'd really love to get one from Memory Express so all the warranty work can be done locally hassle free as well as anything I can't do myself which is pretty minimal. However the prices and options on the Dell machines seem much more appealing.

Needs:
- card reader
- Wireless G/N
- Bluetooth
- video out
- 16 inch or smaller
- integrated webcam/microphone
- at least 3 gigs of 800 megahertz front side bus RAM

- no preinstalled operating system nor software
- long battery life
- quick charge time
- 2 year warranty on some of these instead of 1 year
- Dell offering 3 months free Shaw internet (saves me $60 a month)
- nVidia graphics instead of ATI (works better in Ubuntu)
- television tuner
- 2 separate hard drives instead of one big one (for backups)

Condensed version of links:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4337197&sku=A180-LT052%20CA

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4400168&sku=T71-15402

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23006(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23316(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX22772(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23244(ME).aspx

Or make a Dell.

Onoskelis
March 2nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Neither.

This one is the one you should get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220488

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
you should go for dell as they have a contract with ubuntu and because dell computers are really good and pretty my sister just bought one for less then $700 intel core 2 duo 4gb ram 320gb hd.
do u really need tv turner ?

JECHO
March 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
yeah i would go with a dell... extremely compatible with ubuntu (which is awesome)... I currently have a dell latitude e6400 (14"). I would highly recommend it.

Twitch6000
March 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
dell is your best bet.

Woodsyx
March 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
You might want to check out Lenovo's laptops(Formally IBM Thinkpad)

They have some good laptops I took a quick look at their site for you and they have one model that ships with linux of some flavor and I can vouch for customer service being great. My laptops fan broke and they shipped me a box fixed it and sent it back for free in 3 days.

steveneddy
March 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Go to System76.com and buy one with Ubuntu preinstalled.

You will be much happier.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
i still vote for dell

kaldor
March 2nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
System76 :)

the8thstar
March 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
I would recommend HP. Their support sucks but the machine I have is very Linux compatible.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
i had a look in the system76 website and sounds good, but i think dell has more afordable prices and is also fully linux friendly
my vote remains hahaha

era86
March 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Considering your budget, I would go for the Dell. BUT, as you can tell by my sig, I'm a thinkpad guy. I would dish out a bit more and invest in a thinkpad seeing as to how they are very linux compatible and some of the most sturdy built laptops.

ghindo
March 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I would recommend HP. Their support sucks but the machine I have is very Linux compatible.From my experience, HP hardware is kind of sub-par.

I would recommend either a Dell or Thinkpad. Both are very Linux-compatible, and should come close to your desired specifications.

sharon.gmc
March 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I vote for Dell and HP tie. Dell because it supports Ubuntu, HP because it has good hardware.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
dell has as good hardware as hp.
the ironic part of my post are that i am curently using a toshiba notebook.
but i am thinking of buying a dell.

ibutho
March 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
I would recommend HP. Their support sucks but the machine I have is very Linux compatible.
HP works fine for me as well and I've never needed to contact their tech support. Ubuntu versions up to 8.10 don't play along nicely (out of the box) with the Atheros chipsets on many HP laptops, but this seems to have been remedied in 9.04 (other distros worked just fine).

If you don't want HP, then DELL or System76 are your best bets because they come with Ubuntu preinstalled.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
what does hp have better then dell ?

ibutho
March 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
what does hp have better then dell ?

I can't really give you a precise answer for your question, but I bought HP laptops because for the type of specs I needed, HP was cheaper than DELL. This maybe different where you are.

newbie2
March 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6815926&postcount=9

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
well i think dell is a really good option and afordable,
hp laptops normally have better video cards and easier to find a tv turner.

mips
March 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
From my experience, HP hardware is kind of sub-par.

It all depends on which HPs you buy. I would not buy the normal consumer range of laptops, go with the business class laptops and you won't have any complaints.

Either way I would still rate Thinkpads #1

Clockmender
March 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I bought a Sony Vaio PCG8112M in December 2008 - this has a very high spec and cost £770 in the UK. It came with Vista loaded and refused to work properly until I loaded Ubuntu (I wiped the disk entirely) and has been wonderful ever since, much faster than under Vista. There is loads of software available through the Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove. I tested the pc first using the "load from CD no changes" option - everything is just fine. Sony tell me they won't support the software but all warranties on hardware persist. The wireless connection just worked as did my internet. I have written to Sony to suggest they support Linux - but won't hold my breath waiting for a reply!. Hope this helps you.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
what i like about dell is that u can order it the way u want, u just go to the site customize it and order it

era86
March 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
what i like about dell is that u can order it the way u want, u just go to the site customize it and order it

You can do this nowadays with most laptops. While I still think the Dell is the best on the OP's list, I would still recommend a ThinkPad.

kazuya
March 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
The asus laptop earlier mentioned is a great deal given the quality of it and ease of having dual-boot system. Dell's are always very good for the fact that they are robust, tend to just work fine with Linux as well. I have tended to get good experience with all laptops with nvidia videocards.

I use an Asus X83 from Bestbuy 736 dollars after tax. It runs like a champ on both linux and vista. I prefer linux on it than on most laptops I have installed on. I got intrepid running awesomely on it.

Wireless works, but I am trying to get help on how to use WEP on it.

Issue with this laptop is battery life at 3 hours only, and fingerprint stains easily.. Otherwise, it is uber sweet. One of my best investments in a while. And I game awesomely with it too. as it has a dedicated 512 nvidia 9300 GS card.

gymophett
March 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=86

ArtF10
March 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=86

First time I'm hearing about system 76 systems. That price is a bit steep for a non-LTS version. In a year's time(when 8.10 is no longer supported) what's the buyer going to do if they're new to Linux?

Maheriano
March 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, as I stated, I refuse to get a HP because I just had a dv9420 and the thing fell apart. The wireless card came loose from the board, the bios couldn't control the fans properly so they were on blast all the time and one day the hard drive died. No more HP, plus when I called support I got some guy in India, couldn't understand him at all.

So I'm looking for a company which does support in North America (preferably) and something that won't fall apart. Here is a condensed version of what I posted in the first post, I realized it's too long so I shortened it:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4337197&sku=A180-LT052%20CA

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4400168&sku=T71-15402

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23006(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23316(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX22772(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23244(ME).aspx

Or make a Dell.

I realize Dell outsources to a very shady Indian company for their support but I really like their laptops and their prices. I have to decide if it's worth it or not. I'll take a look at System76 as well.

Shadow12313
March 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
http://www.system76.com/ has some great ubuntu laptops at low prices.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
dell is more afordable then system76

mamamia88
March 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
i have a hp laptop and once had to send it in for a cracked screen don't know how it happened but it happened. also, i have a dead usb port on it and it's only 3 years old. don't know if i'd buy another hp

gymophett
March 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.system76.com/ has some great ubuntu laptops at low prices.

Hehe, thats not what I call affordable.
Or maybe I'm just cheap! :D
I probably wouldn't spend over $500 on a laptop :P

Maheriano
March 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Ya, the System76 machines are pretty overpriced and the cases aren't attractive at all. I'm really leaning towards the Dell but just can't get past their terrible customer service. Have many people here gotten a Dell that required zero service at all? Nothing broke or acted completely strange? I'm afraid something will die and it'll be even harder to deal with because there's no store I can bring it into.

pdcox
March 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I want to order this Monday or Tuesday.

I refuse to buy a HP with the issues I've had with their machines so the ones I'm looking at now are Asus, Acer, Toshiba and Dell. Anyone know if any of these companies outsource to India besides Dell?

You can do this nowadays with most laptops. While I still think the Dell is the best on the OP's list, I would still recommend a ThinkPad.

era86 as you can see he needs to be shipped for india, nowadays you can customize in the site normaly on the us in other countries is hard to find that, but dell does it. atleast here in brazil.
maherino post witch one you are going to buy after you decide i bet everyone in this forum is really curious to know

pdcox
March 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ya, the System76 machines are pretty overpriced and the cases aren't attractive at all. I'm really leaning towards the Dell but just can't get past their terrible customer service. Have many people here gotten a Dell that required zero service at all? Nothing broke or acted completely strange? I'm afraid something will die and it'll be even harder to deal with because there's no store I can bring it into.

my sister bought one and its everything going perfect until now, my father had one for 2 years with no problem at all.
agree with you this system76 are uggly and overpriced but sounds like really good machines

Redache
March 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM

Usually you'd be fine dealing with Dell over the phone, they sort out a courier to come and collect the Laptop from you, or if you get a decent hardware warranty they'll send an engineer to your house to take a look and fix it.

I have a Dell Studio 1535 and even though I've read reports of the Touch Buttons freaking out on people mine runs perfectly. I'd say give Dell the benefit of the doubt, If you're really worried get a Business Laptop, you can just use your name as the Company Name, and you could get a Latitude or something.

Maheriano
March 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
era86 as you can see he needs to be shipped for india, nowadays you can customize in the site normaly on the us in other countries is hard to find that, but dell does it. atleast here in brazil.

No, you got it backwards. I live in Canada, I just don't want to deal with any company that outsources to India, gives me a headache every time I call their support.

inobe
March 3rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Neither.

This one is the one you should get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220488

asus

elvisd
March 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have a DELL. Everything works and worked fine.
Twice had keyboard problem (my fault) and in 2 days i got a new keyboard at home.
I would surely buy another DELL.

pdcox
March 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM
when are u going to buy it, hahahha i am so curious about it

Maheriano
March 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
when are u going to buy it, hahahha i am so curious about it

Would have done it last night but had to add about 200 items to the online inventory of my shop. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight but I have to work on a friend's car as well as wait for the cable guy to do his thing. So maybe Thursday?

And I may regret this but I'm considering a Dell big time. I have huge problems with their lack of nVidia cards, everything is ATI, will I regret that? As well, are the lids slippery plastic or are they a grippy rubber type on the Studios and Inspirons?

Maheriano
March 6th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Depending what you guys think of this, I might order it tonight:

Dell Studio 15
- cool orange lid (or maybe red)
- 250 gig 7200 RPM drive
- Intel 4500MHD (or ATI Radeon HD 3450 for $100 more)
- Intel wireless a/g/n (could save $10 by going with Dell wireless N)
- internal bluetooth
- 3 months high speed internet from my local ISP
- back lit keyboard (love it)
- could add fingerprint reader for $20
- ATSC television tuner (Canada still broadcasts ATSC until 2011)
- free Belkin carry bag
- DVD drive is slot load (love it)
- $1029 Canadian dollars

Will the Intel graphics card be compatible with Ubuntu?
Should I even bother with a fingerprint reader I won't use?
Will the Dell wireless N card work on my wireless G network?
The 3 free months of high speed internet is from the provider I currently use so that'll save me $60 a month.
Is the lid a slippery plastic or a grippy rubber type?
Anything else here Ubuntu will complain about? I want to dual boot with Windows.

pdcox
March 6th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Depending what you guys think of this, I might order it tonight:

Dell Studio 15
- cool orange lid (or maybe red)
- 250 gig 7200 RPM drive
- Intel 4500MHD (or ATI Radeon HD 3450 for $100 more)
- Intel wireless a/g/n (could save $10 by going with Dell wireless N)
- internal bluetooth
- 3 months high speed internet from my local ISP
- back lit keyboard (love it)
- could add fingerprint reader for $20
- ATSC television tuner (Canada still broadcasts ATSC until 2011)
- free Belkin carry bag
- DVD drive is slot load (love it)
- $1029 Canadian dollars

Will the Intel graphics card be compatible with Ubuntu?
Should I even bother with a fingerprint reader I won't use?
Will the Dell wireless N card work on my wireless G network?
The 3 free months of high speed internet is from the provider I currently use so that'll save me $60 a month.
Is the lid a slippery plastic or a grippy rubber type?
Anything else here Ubuntu will complain about? I want to dual boot with Windows.

depending for what ur using its good, if ur gonna demend alot from the video card would be better the ATI,
the hard disk also depending on what ur gonna use could be abit small.
but overall looks awsome

Maheriano
March 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Still no answer the questions I posted? Want to know by tonight.

pdcox
March 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
yes the intel video card is compatiple with ubuntu.
yes u can make the fingerprint work.
wireless card if your router is g hsve to be g, but check if this one is N and the inferior one or just N

bbabiuk
March 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Would have done it last night but had to add about 200 items to the online inventory of my shop. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight but I have to work on a friend's car as well as wait for the cable guy to do his thing. So maybe Thursday?

And I may regret this but I'm considering a Dell big time. I have huge problems with their lack of nVidia cards, everything is ATI, will I regret that? As well, are the lids slippery plastic or are they a grippy rubber type on the Studios and Inspirons?

I am considering a Studio 17. But, I share your concern. The lack of an Nvida card option concerns me. My last ATI card was a 9600 in my desktop and was a bugger to get running right. Anyone have success getting the accelerated drivers working right? Will envy do the trick? Is the 3 series card decent enough to drive the high res 1920xwhatever screen?

Maheriano
March 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Dell, I decided to call their support line to see if it gives me a headache or not. I know I'll be using it in the future so I wanted to try it out. It was the worst experience ever.

First call:
I got Grace in technical support, she was pretty good but didn't know the answers to some of the sales questions so she tried to transfer me to Sales but for some reason couldn't. She ended up giving me the direct number. Weird, but okay, not a big deal.

Second call:
Spencer - Hi, my name is Spencer, how may I direct your call?
me - Not sure, I got a few questions about ordering online and compatibility.
-- 6 second pause --
me - hello?
Spencer - hello?
me - ya....
-- 6 second pause --
me - Do you know why?
Spencer - What is your question sir?
me - What? I'm wondering about ordering online and compatibility.
Spencer - I'm not following.
me - I want to select Ubuntu as an option for an operating system but it's not an option.
At this point I didn't get an answer so I looked at my phone and realized he had hung up.

Third Call:
I called back again and got the same guy. I told him he hung up on me and asked him the same question. Got the same pause with no answer, I asked again and he said he would transfer me to Sales. It went like this:
me - Ya, you hung up on me. I'm wondering why I can't choose Ubuntu as an operating system on the Studio 15.
Spencer - Hold on, I'll transfer you to Sales.
me - Oh, what department is this?
-- 6 second pause --
me - hello?
Spencer - Yes, please hold, I'll transfer you to sales.
me - ya, okay, but which department is this?
Spencer - call dispatch centre
me - okay
It went silent like I had been transferred but when I looked at my phone, he had hung up on me AGAIN!

Fourth Call:
I called back and got someone whose name I couldn't pronounce. I asked the same Ubuntu question and she transferred me to a guy in Sales....finally.
From there I asked the the same question:
me - I'm trying to order online and I know you offer Ubuntu as an operating system, I want it on my Studio 15. But there's no option.
him - Yes, if you don't see Ubuntu, then it is not an option.
me - Okay, but why is it not an option?
him - It is not compatible sir.
me - I have 4 Ubuntu computers, I know it's compatible, I looked at the hardware. I'm wondering why I can't choose it.
him - Because it is not an option for that laptop sir.
me - I'm getting frustrated. I know it's not an option, I'm wondering why it is not an option.
him - Yes. It's a free download so if you order Windows you can get it yourself.
me - Okay but I don't want to pay for Windows so can you ship it with nothing on it?
him - No, we cannot sell a computer without an operating system.
me - What? Why not?
him - After we assemble it, we need to test it to make sure it works.
me - Okay, so I want to buy a Studio 15 from you right now for $1000 and I want Ubuntu on it.
him - We cannot do that.
me - Are you telling me you're going to give up a $1000 sale because you don't want to install an operating system?
him - Yes.
me - What? You build computers, what's so hard?
And then he hung up on me. So I've gotten hung up on 3 times by people I have not yelled at, nor cursed at, all I did was pose a question which was a little more difficult for them to solve. It meant them actually doing some work to figure it out.

I'm a very very technical guy and if I ever call for support, it's going to be something very difficult. I can't buy a computer from a company that simply hands up when the question is too hard.

So I gave them 4 days for someone to call me with these answers:

1. When I try to order it with the ATSC tuner, it tells me I can't check out because it's incompatible with the operating system. What do I care? I'm not putting Windows on it anyway, I'll use it in MythTV in Linux, it'll work then. I need to somehow get it shipped with the tuner.
2. I want to know why Ubuntu is not an option. I realize it's not, I don't need someone repeating that, I want to know WHY.
3. Is the Dell wireless N card backwards compatible with a G network?
4. Does it have a card reader?
5. I need more information about the 3 months free internet from Shaw. It says high speed but Shaw offers many high speed packages at different transfer rates and bandwidth limits, I want to know which package I would get for free. Nobody could answer this.
6. Very important, someone told me that you can't get the free Shaw if you were their customer in the last 3 months. This is fine but where is that written online? That is a very important restriction for people to know and it would be illegal to bind people to if it's not presented to them when ordering online.

What a terrible, terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE company. Why would you do that to your customers? The lady on the automated voice prompt system has perfect English, then whoever picks up your call has a crazy Indian accent. WTF?

pdcox
March 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
did they answear your question ?

Maheriano
March 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Not yet. The people on the phone never answered anything and I haven't gotten a reply to my email.

pdcox
March 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM
report it to the costumers service

Maheriano
March 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM
report it to the costumers service

If you think I'm calling them back, you're crazy.

cknight
March 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Well I just got off the phone with Dell, I decided to call their support line to see if it gives me a headache or not. I know I'll be using it in the future so I wanted to try it out. It was the worst experience ever.
The lady on the automated voice prompt system has perfect English, then whoever picks up your call has a crazy Indian accent. WTF?

Your complaints against Dell seem hardly fair. The questions you posed in your 4 conversations were hardly support related. These people were trained to support the systems they sell, not answer questions about Dell's business model. Nor should the sales staff be expected to be able to explain why Dell doesn't sell a particular combination of hardward/software. Their job is to answer questions about the products and service they do sell.

And finally, why should a "crazy Indian" accent matter? Surely its the quality of service which is important? After all, the "crazy Indian" was the only one who got you through to Sales, while it was an English accented person who hung up on you. I know who I'd rather speak to.

Having said this, your questions 3-6 are valid and should be answered by Dell and noone should have hung up on you.

Maheriano
March 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Your complaints against Dell seem hardly fair. The questions you posed in your 4 conversations were hardly support related. These people were trained to support the systems they sell, not answer questions about Dell's business model. Nor should the sales staff be expected to be able to explain why Dell doesn't sell a particular combination of hardward/software. Their job is to answer questions about the products and service they do sell.

And finally, why should a "crazy Indian" accent matter? Surely its the quality of service which is important? After all, the "crazy Indian" was the only one who got you through to Sales, while it was an English accented person who hung up on you. I know who I'd rather speak to.

Having said this, your questions 3-6 are valid and should be answered by Dell and noone should have hung up on you.

I understand what their particular job is but my point is that Dell as a company should have a way of filtering that knowledge through the support centre and out to the customer somehow. If they can't tell me something about their marketing/business model then they should know how to either get the answer or find someone who can answer it. I worked tech support for the largest 1X wireless provider in North America and had people call in with the craziest technical cellular questions ever and you better believe I got the answer for them. Saying, "I don't know" is unacceptable for me. Go get me the answer.

About the Indian accent, I should have clarified that they all had the accent, none of them were North American. So some hung up on me, some didn't.

Maheriano
March 11th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Okay, Dell sucks. I'm thinking of this one now.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23214(ME).aspx

the store is just down the street here. I'd add a PCI ATSC tuner so it'd be nearly the same one I wanted from Dell. I'd ask them about upgrading the RAM up to 800 as well.

shadowdude1794
March 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220483
Looks like it fits your needs...

Maheriano
March 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Ay carumba, one of the sales guys just called me and stepped through each of my questions with me. Today's the last day of the deadline, I guess I have to uphold my end of the bargain and consider Dell as an option again. So it's either the Studio 15 or the Acer I just posted. Hard to choose, I really want that backlit keyboard that only Dell offers.

abn91c
March 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
you can always build your own laptop here http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3940221&CatId=3840

suitedaces
March 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
To be fair to the call centre guys, a lot of it is scripted. They can't really deviate from that, and though your language was acceptable, I would question your tone.

Maheriano
March 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
To be fair to the call centre guys, a lot of it is scripted. They can't really deviate from that, and though your language was acceptable, I would question your tone.
Completely understandable but I can honestly say I wasn't sarcastic or short with them at all. I wasn't, "Hello sir..." polite but I was just straight forward asking questions, maybe a bit bold, that's all. I'm a calm guy.

S0VERE1GN
March 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Acer Apsire one.

i just got one, did a memstick install of ubuntu, had to do a little package install work to get the wireless working, but i now get about 3 hours of battery life out of it and it runs super fast.

Tigerdirect.com is selling them for 300 buckx.

Maheriano
March 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Acer Apsire one.

i just got one, did a memstick install of ubuntu, had to do a little package install work to get the wireless working, but i now get about 3 hours of battery life out of it and it runs super fast.

Tigerdirect.com is selling them for 300 buckx.

I just checked, it's $400 and that thing is tiiiiiny. I want something that's real comfortable to work on, about 15 inches.

EDIT - I was on tigerdirect.ca, sorry. Currency exchange.

suitedaces
March 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Completely understandable but I can honestly say I wasn't sarcastic or short with them at all. I wasn't, "Hello sir..." polite but I was just straight forward asking questions, maybe a bit bold, that's all. I'm a calm guy.

Fair enough then. But these guys virtually have to follow a script. Doubt they're even allowed to answer the questions you had even if they could. You annoyance is entirely justified, just not the recipients. :)

pdcox
March 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM
so what did u buy ?

Maheriano
March 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I talked it over with a few people and they suggest I go with the Dell because it's a better computer and everything is built in. It was pretty much a toss up anyway so I called the sales guy at Dell that helped me out and left a message saying I'd like to order it. No call back yet. It'll end up being the Studio 15 with built in bluetooth, television tuner, backlit keyboard and slot load DVD drive with a tangerine orange lid.

pdcox
March 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
nice. after instaling ubuntu give us feedback on how everything is working

Maheriano
March 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Sure thing. I just called him to try and order it but he's away until Thursday, I'll order it then. I also emailed him a few questions I have remaining:

- What is the Dell Travel Remote?
- Does this computer come with a media remote? Does the optional tuner card?
- Is the ATSC tuner also NTSC?
- This laptop comes with a 256 meg dedicated ATI high definition video card so does it also come with the 1920x1080 screen or is that an extra $200 as stated on the website?

Also, we got into a big argument about the television tuner cards he has not being supported in 64 bit operating systems so he's going to have to mail me out a 64 bit tuner card separately in April when he gets them. Free shipping on everything too.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a computer from Dell?

EDIT - He called me back just before he left the office I guess, either that or he saw the word sale and wanted to catch me before someone else got the commission. So I just ordered it, it's a Studio 15 with the dedicated ATI video card, PCI express media remote, Belkim laptop bag, 4 gigs of RAM, T6400 2gig processor, internal bluetooth, A/G/N wireless card, backlit keyboard, slot load DVD drive, tangerine orange lid, 320 gig 5400 RPM hard drive and no stupid fingerprint reader. Not bad for $1033.19 Canadian. He put a rush on it for me and said it should be here between April 6 and April 10.

blastus
March 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Why is there always a 6 second delay in every response on the phone with Dell? I noticed the same thing. I'm thinking about this Dell Canada laptop...

XPS 1530 ($1369):
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Ultra Performance: 128GB Solid State Drive
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

blastus
March 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Sure thing. I just called him to try and order it but he's away until Thursday, I'll order it then. I also emailed him a few questions I have remaining:

- What is the Dell Travel Remote?
- Does this computer come with a media remote? Does the optional tuner card?
- Is the ATSC tuner also NTSC?
- This laptop comes with a 256 meg dedicated ATI high definition video card so does it also come with the 1920x1080 screen or is that an extra $200 as stated on the website?

Also, we got into a big argument about the television tuner cards he has not being supported in 64 bit operating systems so he's going to have to mail me out a 64 bit tuner card separately in April when he gets them. Free shipping on everything too.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a computer from Dell?

EDIT - He called me back just before he left the office I guess, either that or he saw the word sale and wanted to catch me before someone else got the commission. So I just ordered it, it's a Studio 15 with the dedicated ATI video card, PCI express media remote, Belkim laptop bag, 4 gigs of RAM, T6400 2gig processor, internal bluetooth, A/G/N wireless card, backlit keyboard, slot load DVD drive, tangerine orange lid, 320 gig 5400 RPM hard drive and no stupid fingerprint reader. Not bad for $1033.19 Canadian. He put a rush on it for me and said it should be here between April 6 and April 10.

Which Studio 15 did you look at? I just found this one and it looks like the best deal so far. The P8700 is far more powerful than the T6400...

Studio 15 ($1,049)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 (2.530GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.4 WLED display (1280x800)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11agn Half Mini-Card

lisati
March 25th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite M200 laptop which comes with integrated webcam, card reader, wirless and microphone. Getting the microphone to work with Skype in Ubuntu seems to be a trifle problematical - I'll get to it one day (it's not high on my list of priorities) but I gather that it can be done. Other than that it seems to work well.

wubrgamer
March 25th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Best deals on thinkpads around. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/LenovoOutlet/Notebook/

wubrgamer
March 25th, 2009, 02:39 AM
btw, that's an OFFICIAL outlet store

blastus
March 25th, 2009, 02:44 AM
btw, that's an OFFICIAL outlet store

That store is no good for the OP or other Canadians.

Maheriano
March 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Which Studio 15 did you look at? I just found this one and it looks like the best deal so far. The P8700 is far more powerful than the T6400...

Studio 15 ($1,049)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 (2.530GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.4 WLED display (1280x800)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11agn Half Mini-Card

The one that starts at $899 and then added from there. That might be a better processor but the front side bus is 1066 and Dell doesn't offer RAM faster than 800 so you're not going to get the full potential out of it anyway. Unless you buy your own RAM.

blastus
March 25th, 2009, 02:51 AM
The one that starts at $899 and then added from there. That might be a better processor but the front side bus is 1066 and Dell doesn't offer RAM faster than 800 so you're not going to get the full potential out of it anyway. Unless you buy your own RAM.

What ATI video card did you get? The Studio 15 I found has an 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. The laptop looks good but from what I've searched, people still have issues with the 3450 on Ubuntu.

Sylslay
March 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Go for Dell. HP laptop HINGES go breakdown,
Some freind make hinges at small factory. And realy bad design of hinges.

Maheriano
March 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
What ATI video card did you get? The Studio 15 I found has an 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. The laptop looks good but from what I've searched, people still have issues with the 3450 on Ubuntu.

DAMNIT! That's the card I got. Hopefully it works fine in 8.1 or 9.04.

abn91c
March 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I have a 2004 Dell Inspiron 1000 with 512MB ram, it runs Kubuntu 8.10 with a broadcom 4310 wireless card, have no trouble connecting to the net. The DVD drive works fine after loading the kubuntu-extras and the medibuntu codecs, so getting a Dual core Dell will be your best bet :-)

blastus
March 25th, 2009, 03:17 AM
DAMNIT! That's the card I got. Hopefully it works fine in 8.1 or 9.04.

Hopefully the 3450 will work. I didn't do an exhaustive search on that card so we'll cross our fingers.

You'll have to let us know what you think about that laptop. If you really really like that laptop and it works with Ubuntu I might get it too :) I like the XPS 1530 but the P8700 isn't offered on it :( What I really want is a P8700, an NVIDIA card, and an SSD.

Edit: Just found this...
Every Nvidia Graphics Card With G84 or G86 Chipset Is Ready to Die (http://gizmodo.com/5023963/inquirer-every-nvidia-graphics-card-with-g84-or-g86-chipset-is-ready-to-die)

Well that's just peachy. That includes the GeForce® 8600M GT.

Maheriano
March 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Holy crap, Purolator just called me with a package from Dell. I have to go pick it up after work, that was the fastest shipment I've ever received in my life.

Maheriano
March 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Holy crap, Purolator just called me with a package from Dell. I have to go pick it up after work, that was the fastest shipment I've ever received in my life.
Nevermind, it's just the laptop bag I added to my order.

Bart_D
March 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Typical Dell. They send your computer to you one piece at a time.

pdcox
April 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM
its everything going well on your laptop ?

Maheriano
April 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Hasn't arrived yet. I'm supposed to get it this week but they haven't even charged my credit card yet so I have a feeling it's going to be a loooooooong time. I'm predicting end of April with the way things are going and the reputation they have. We'll see.

Maheriano
April 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I spoke too soon, it was shipped yesterday.

Maheriano
April 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Purolator just called to say they'd be delivering it tomorrow but I'll be at work all day. :mad:

pdcox
April 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
hahhaha the issue of buying this laptop is 9 pages long, it better worth it.
hahaha just kiding. hope you like it

Maheriano
April 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Just received my laptop and am currently downloading Ubuntu 9.04 beta! I'll make a new thread once I actually start. This one's no longer about which laptop I should get.

Maheriano
April 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1121306

Shadow12313
April 13th, 2010, 02:15 AM
If ever get a laptop I think I'll get one from system76.