PDA

View Full Version : photo download script/program

jocke1s
December 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

In XP I used a software called DOWNLOADER PRO from www.breezesys.com.
It is a nice program to download my digital camera photos, rename them
and put them in folders on the fly based on exif data. Fast as hell and very easy to use.

Now:
I am looking for a replacement on ubuntu to download from my usb reader. So no actual camera support is needed.
* Have to be able to download and rename. Example IMG123.jpg will be renamed to 20051226_IMG123_01.jpg and put in folder /photo/2005/2005_12/2005_12_26
* Need to be fast

I actually don't think it exist anything useful in linux so I am prepared to write my own script using some exif cabable utility etc..

Anyone got any ideas for software or script?

Best regards
Joakim

anil_robo
December 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM
WHen I plug in my digicam in Ubuntu, it automatically detects it, mounts it, shows preview of all photos, and asks me where should I keep it. It also gives me an option of which folder, and if I want to rename the files. I don't know what package it is, but it's included with Ubuntu by default. Try it.

jocke1s
December 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I have tried many of the common programs. The options in the default ubuntu ones are not sufficient. And its SLOOOOOW.

I need to be able to download up to 4 Gb and it needs to automatically rename and create subfolders based on exif data on the run without user intervention.

/Joakim

xmastree
December 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I think that writing your own script is the only answer. Programs are available for reading exif tags if you search synaptic for exif you'll see them.

exif, for example:

$ exif -t DateTime dsc_0844.jpg
EXIF entry 'Date and Time' (0x132, 'Date and Time') exists in IFD '0':
Tag: 0x132 ('DateTime')
Format: 2 ('Ascii')
Components: 20
Size: 20
Value: 2005:12:22 21:10:57
$

Then it's simply a matter of reading the date from the exif (assuming it's that date rather than the system date you want), create a folder for it and copy the filename to it with its new name.

Yeah, simple really. :rolleyes:

Good luck, and remember to post it here so we can all use it. :)

dcraven
December 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'd probably write this in Python using PIL. I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

HTH,
~djc

jocke1s
December 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Ok I spent an hour to write this VERY ROUGH bash script. It uses jhead for exif data.

As it is written it takes all pictures ending with JPG, rename them and moves them to folders based on when the picture was taken. If no exif data exists you are prompted for year/mont/day.

If by chance anyone uses this and has the energy to add some functionality or error checks etc please let me know :)

Regards
Joakim

ps I have tried it one time on 1Gb of files and It worked perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
#
#
#
echo "This script will rename and move all JPG files in current folder. Continue Y/N?"
read -e answer
if [ $answer == "Y" ];
then
folder="/home/joakim/PICTURES"
for files in *.JPG
do
year=`jhead $files | grep "Date/Time :" 2>/dev/null | awk '{print substr($0,16)}' | awk '{print substr($0,1,4)}'`
if test -z "$year"
then
echo "$files"
echo "Exif info is missing. Please add date information: "
echo -n "Enter year: "
read -e year
echo "Enter month: "
read -e month
echo "Enter day: "
read -e day
basename=`echo ${files%\.JPG}`
model="unknown"
else
year=`jhead $files | grep "Date/Time :" | awk '{print substr($0,16)}' | awk '{print substr($0,1,4)}'`
month=`jhead $files | grep "Date/Time :" | awk '{print substr($0,16)}' | awk '{print substr($0,6,2)}'`
day=`jhead $files | grep "Date/Time :" | awk '{print substr($0,16)}' | awk '{print substr($0,9,2)}'`
basename=`echo ${files%\.JPG}`
model=`jhead $files | grep "Camera model :" | awk '{print substr($0,16)}' | awk '{print $3}'`
fi
filename=$basename"_"$year$month$day"_"$model"_01.jpg"
if test -a $filename
then
echo "File $files will be changed to $filename which allready exists..."
exit
fi
mkdir $folder"/"$year 2>/dev/null
mkdir $folder"/"$year"/"$month 2>/dev/null
mkdir $folder"/"$year"/"$month"/"$day 2>/dev/null
mv $files $folder"/"$year"/"$month"/"$day"/"$filename
done