PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something happen with my screen...

send4m3
March 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hi, all. When I was first install Intrepid, there is no sign of something weird that I get lately.

For example: When I go to Terminal, and did not type anything unless I do a Backspace, my screen will flick for a second.

That kind of things I do have too, when I open my Gedit, new file, nothing character in it, I just do a Backspace the screen will flick a second too..

The same thing happen in my firefox when I try to search a word that not exist in the webpage, my screen will flick for a second too...

It seem like a notification from system, but I did not like it. Anyone in forums do have the same problem with me ? How to solve my problem ??

Thanks in advance

thtrgremlin
March 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
Is english not your first language? Sorry, just having a bit of difficulty identifying the problem or several problems it sounds like you are experiencing, but I can attempt to help best I can.

When you say terminal, you mean the one you can open from the desktop? or the terminal you assess from F1-F6?

Is this regular Ubuntu Intrepid, or Kubuntu / Xubuntu / other?

Am I to understand that you type characters, nothing is displayed, then you hit backspace and then the text shows up (or not?) and at the same time the screen flickers? I think I am misunderstanding, but that is how I interpret what you wrote.

And going to assume you have a second computer that you are using to post this issue.

Hope I can help.

send4m3
March 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, English is not my first language, sorry for the difficulties, but I am trying my best to describe my problem.

It is the regular Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex that installed in my notebook. What I am saying on this forum about terminal is refer to Applications-Accesories-Terminal.

When I was in Terminal, and I struck backspace, the screen will flick for a second, the same happen when I am searching a word in my Mozilla Firefox and the search not found anything in the webpage,it will be flick too.

The other things is when I am opening gedit, and I am hit the backspace for the first character, it will be flick too for a second.

The last thing happen to me is... when I am opening my Thunderbird, and there is notification email in my inbox at the right bottom corner about how many email we get, subject email, etc. It will be flick too... for a second.

From the problem I am encountering and describe above, I am thinking on it for some moment, and I guess that there is some event in Ubuntu when something happen, it ackowledge the user by flick the screen. I am quite ennoying with that things. There is someone help me to solve this things ??

Thanks

Yashiro
March 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
It's called a Visual Bell.It's an Accessibility feature.
Disable any visual bell options you can find. Perhaps you have been playing with the Accessibility panel?

Try disabling audio bell too. Occasionally they are linked.

send4m3
March 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Yashiro...

After researching I think I know what make it happened.
I accidentally set the Visual Bell to flash screen.
For all Ubuntu users that get the same things, this is how to disabled it.

Click System-Preference-Sound, then click the Sounds tab - make Visual alert disabled.

thtrgremlin
March 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
That makes more sense. I had thought it was like the screen was regausing or something like that.

But I have also never use any of the accessibility tools before, so I think that was where I was so far off. Glad someone more insightful could respond.