PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recovery Options?

Acetertrix
March 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and the REDICULOUS PART is every couple weeks and UPDATES will appear on my flawlessly running system. And then this update either messed with the video, or sound stops working, sometimes the system runs so slow after an update I can't even access menus.

Right now its MP3's after an update my ability to play Mp3's has disappeared, and causes a system lockup. I have removed the packages totem complete and the gstreamer packages and the restricted ubuntu software - then restarted and reinstalled all these packages again, everything worked fine, Ubuntu said there were updates again. So I said ok to the UPDATES and I'll be blessed if it dident screw up Ubuntu Again.

Its hard enough getting answers to normal operations of ubuntu, but for the Updates to be screwing up my system, well thats too much, as of now my system is unusable and I'm apparently loosing everything AGAIN and reinstalling Ubuntu. Seams to me this is more like a Windows Environment, Actually Ubuntu dies 3x more than windows as of now.

As well Ubuntu is not going to take off if peoples systems are inoperative.
ATLEAST WHEN WINDOWS SCREWED UP I COULD RESTORE IT TO ANOTHER DAY, I GUESS UBUNTU DEVELOPERS FEEL THAT UBUNTU IS FLAWLESS AND DOSENT NEED A RECOVERY OPTION.

"IS THERE A RECOVERY OPTION OTHER THAN THE ESC MENU AT GRUB LOAD? CAN I RESTORE THE SYSTEM TO YESTURDAY AND NOT LOOSE EVERYTHING?

THIS IS MY LAST TIME INSTALLING UBUNTU. Once installed and I complete a One time update if everything works, I am disabeling Updates Completely.

Mark Phelps
March 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your Ubuntu update problems, but unfortunately, this is become more and more a symptom of using the Ubuntu distro. Canonical is trying to stay on the leading-edge of Linux features, and in doing so, it looks like stuff gets broken from time to time. I do a full backup with Partimage before I install a bunch of updates. Inconvenient, yes, but 10 minutes of backup prevents me from having to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch, load dozens of packages, and spend hours reconfiguring them.

Debian is more stable than Ubuntu but doesn't offer as much leading-edge stuff.

PCLinuxOS and Mint offer similar features but attempt to make multimedia and wireless a lot easier to implement.

Suggest you look at the distrowatch.com web page for the most current version of these distros.

bodhi.zazen
March 2nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
To be honest in my experience these problems seem to happen to new users. As you learn the system it happens much less often.

Are you using 3rd party repos ?

Honestly, I have not had this issue (updated causing this degree of problem) in some time.

Other problems could be you changed permissions of system files, hard to know really.

If you would like help please keep in mind we are volunteers.

Acetertrix
March 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the Input. I am definately willing to spend 10 mins backing up the system befor updates. Im finishing the initial Install and base update now, then installing the restore app you mentioned. I like Ubuntu and am fighting to keep it as my mainstream OS, I have even started implementing the server into my business environment. Once again Thank You.

Bradley

Acetertrix
March 2nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
PS Distrowatch.com Is awesome resource,

*Im a tech nut trying to get a squirrel.