PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob, Vista to Ububtu 8.10?

dmdyne
March 1st, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm currently still reading everything I can find on installation and I'm still uncertain exactly what to do.

I want to rip Vista off of my laptop and start fresh with Ubuntu. I am currently downloading the .iso file and I'm assuming that I need to burn it to a CD. But will this be a bootable CD? Will it automatically install Ubuntu straight from the C prompt with out any OS on the pc?

Still have 50 minutes on the download. lol

I've never downloaded an iso file, how do I make it a bootable/readable disk from the formatted C prompt?

taurus
March 1st, 2009, 05:03 AM
1. Make sure you run a checksum to check the integrity of the ISO image after you've downloaded it.

2. Burn the ISO file as an image file, not a data file or it won't boot.

3. Burn it at a slow speed like 4x.

4. At the initial screen after booting from the CD, run the check cd for defects to make sure the CD is good before move on.

5. If you want to wipe windows off the harddrive, just tell the installer to use the whole disk when you get to the partition part (Step 4 of 7, I believe) unless you have a reason to do your own partitioning.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=(burn)|(iso)

lykwydchykyn
March 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
- The iso file is a disc image, you need to burn it as an image to disc. Don't just make a data CD with the file on it. What CD burning package do you use?

- The CD boots up to an Ubuntu desktop, from where you can run a wizard that will guide you through installing Ubuntu. It's a good idea to make sure all your hardware is working before proceeding.

- It will install without an OS. Worth noting that with no OS on the computer, there is no C prompt. Just a blank screen. Not that that matters.

arm-c
March 1st, 2009, 05:15 AM
Here is a how-to link.

Most CD/DVD burner software has ability to do that. Look for something such as "burn ISO to disk" or "burn disk image" and select ISO.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

In Ubuntu, it is easy to do in future... (once you have it installed)... all you need to do is right click on iso icon and select burn to disk (phrase may not be exactly that).

A note to you... I love Ubuntu, but for a new user coming from windows, keep your mind set that things are different and so are programs... meaning you won't find Microsoft Office for Linux as well as others.. but there are many alternatives out there and I am quite happy and usually more happy with it than windows.

Good place to start looking for alternatives (many have windows versions also... which I used before switching to ease my transition).

http://www.osalt.com/

v/r
ARM-C

dmdyne
March 1st, 2009, 05:47 AM
Tauras, thank you for the quick reply and the link to download InfraRecorder.

lyk, I'm using InfraRecorder. lol

arm-c I've actually preferred OpenOffice to MS Office for a few years now. I have played a little with Ubuntu on a friends laptop so I'm vaguely familiar with it.

I'm done downloading and I'm going to burn my disk. Hopefully everything goes easy on me. lol I'll be back, good or bad, to letcha know how it went or ask more questions. lol

Thanks again for the fast replies!

dmdyne
March 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks, everything went great. Vista is finally gone!

davidryder
March 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Nice :) Glad to hear! Now if you have any MP3s fire up rhythmbox and enjoy some background music while breaking in the new OS!