PDA

View Full Version : what did MS do right?

metuwi
December 26th, 2005, 12:52 AM
why is sound (almost) never an issue in windows? what did Msoft do right?
Simultaneous sounds JustWork in windows. etc etc.

are all linuxes so difficult when it comes to sound?

in ubuntu you have to edit this, install that, tweak this... just to get sound to work... acceptably.

(p.s. i like ubuntu, just somewhat frustrated)

yaztromo
December 26th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Because Windows was designed to be a desktop system from the get-go.

Linux will get there though.

Bandit
December 26th, 2005, 02:04 AM

in ubuntu you have to edit this, install that, tweak this... just to get sound to work... acceptably.

Honestly I have always had much better luck with linux then windows.
Maybe its just my luck tho.
ALSA has always used every sound card I have tried it with, were as with windows I would have to try to find the driver and install-n-pray. Of course I have used alot of built sound cards. When I wasnt useing built in sound cards I used sound blaster. So I guess thats why I have always had better luck.
Now one thing is I will complain about is MIDI playback in onboard sound cards. So far in my last 3 or for mobos with ouboard sound dont have midi playback.
But since this is the day and age digital music as MP3s and highspeed internet there isnt much of a complaint anymore except I would like to wright MIDI music again.
Cheers,
Joey

BSDFreak
December 26th, 2005, 02:27 AM

MS has the best hardware drivers of all OS's, no doubt about it, why? Well because they are MS.

And if you state your problem rather than complaining, you might find that Linux sound isn't bad at all.

Rackerz
December 26th, 2005, 02:31 AM
What did they do right? They enabled games to be played on there operating system. Once Linux does that then we have no troubles deciding do we?

Bandit
December 26th, 2005, 02:36 AM
What did they do right? They enabled games to be played on there operating system. Once Linux does that then we have no troubles deciding do we?
They didnt enable the games. Game companies produce more windows games becuase windows does carry the largest portion of the market share. But M$ doesnt enable anything.
Linux DOES enable games, but it unfortunatly doesnt have the market share for most game companies to make games for linux, there is just not enough money it in for them.
Cheers,
Joey

briancurtin
December 26th, 2005, 02:50 AM
having more games in linux will do nothing for market share*

* a 1% increase = nothing

xequence
December 26th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Ubuntu detected my sound perfectly. In windows it also detected it perfectly. Except for one time, when it wouldent work even with the drivers...

poofyhairguy
December 26th, 2005, 05:45 AM
What did MS do right? Ask Ballmer, he will tell you what MS is most proud of:

"developers, developers, developers..."

xequence
December 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM
What did MS do right? Ask Ballmer, he will tell you what MS is most proud of:

"developers, developers, developers..."

What did MS do wrong? Ask most linux users, theyll tell you what they least like about MS:

"ballmer, ballmer, ballmer..."

=P

encompass
December 26th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Hasn't anyone thought about how drivers are made...
Right now in a commercial world... drivers are produced my companies that want there product to "just work" on the OS that is installed. They don't want a product that sucks, that is hard to install or that may not work. They want better products. BUT, there is a balance between quality and cost. If every company that existed made a product linux compatible, each one would have to create drivers that would work and always work. No matter the distro or type of os they have. That costs money. How many products say "os: windows 95, 98, 2000, NT 4.0, Linux" on the box. It is hard to find them all, even if the driver is well know to run in linux, companies are scared that the next distro or kernel patch will make the drivers not work anymore. That costs money. Lots of money, to make drivers just work for everyone.
If people want drivers to Just work in linux, they will have to wait until linux is much more promenent in the computer user comunity. People can complain in linux forums all day long. But the best way to get drivers working is talking to companies and telling them that you are unsatisfied that their product does not support linux or any other os.
I always make sure that the products I buy work in linux. There is never a sure bet that the product will work, I take that risk. But when it comes down to the freedom I feel in not being in such a one-way street. I feel it is worth paying the extra money for a product that MAY work.

And the whole comment about games in linux. Linux can play games if programmers make games work for it. If driver programmers make drivers for linux. If sound driver programmers make sound drivers for linux. Don't blam volunteers that have to figure out how a hardware product works and make up there own drivers cause hardware producers won't fork out the money themselves.

I support linux. I am proud to be a member of a strong, and devout group that feels that there can be more options then conventional means. I am willing to make the effort to improve something that encourages growth, freedom, and choice. For heaven sakes, somebody should have cued the patriotic music four lines ago....

alright... nuf said.

Bandit
December 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM
What did MS do wrong? Ask most linux users, theyll tell you what they least like about MS:

"ballmer, ballmer, ballmer..."

=P
Yea, I kinda agree with you there :D

-Rick-
December 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM
msdn (http://msdn.microsoft.com/) is pretty nice...

prizrak
December 27th, 2005, 01:11 AM
They dominate 95% of the desktop market, which makes everyone create drivers/apps for it :)