PDA

View Full Version : OpenCD

crane
January 12th, 2005, 01:42 AM
My wife's office is just descovering the uses of opensource in the real world. I talked them into trying OpenOffice and her boss loved it and is in the process of changing most of the computers to OOo!

Well to help them out I downloaded the latest release from OpenCD (http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/) so he could hace a good install disk to install from.
After downloading and burning it, I step over to my daughter computer (XP) start up the CD and see a link to Ubuntu right on the main page!!

How Sweet! I'm glad to see it really getting out there in more media and advertising.

Great job Guys :cool:

BWF89
January 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I have that!

What kind of buisness does your wife work at and how many computers do they have? Do they plan to use OOo's native file format .SWX or save as .DOC?

crane
January 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM
I have that!

What kind of buisness does your wife work at and how many computers do they have? Do they plan to use OOo's native file format .SWX or save as .DOC?

My wife works for a group of Doctors (orthopedic) at the hospital. I would guess at any where from 75 to 100+ computers, plus vpn's to 4 or 5 remote connections.
My guess is for now they will be saving the files as .DOC so they won't have any conflicts.

The man that runs there firewall is a big Linux user as well. Maybe I can talk him into using Ubuntu then eventually converting more!

Worth a shot!

BWF89
January 12th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Ask him if he would let the more tech savvy people in the office duel boot Windows and Linux if they wish. That is always the step in the right direction...