PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from 8.04

shadow120
February 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
if i upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 or 9.04 will i lose everything in my home folder. i'm going to back up my important files but i have alot of music and videos that i dont have room to back up. also will i lose all my wine apps thanks fort the help i'm still new to all this

Zill
February 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
shadow120: If your /home directory is on a separate partition then your data should remain intact when you upgrade. Just make sure you don't reformat your /home partition!!!

If your /home directory is not currently on a separate partition then you might consider moving it to make things easier in future. The link below gives a good howto:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Just be aware that any changes to partitioning may cause loss of data so ensure that all your important files are backed up first.

ps. Can't comment on Wine as I don't use it! Windows-free zone here. :-)

paydaydaddy
February 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Not really an expert here, but I have done a few upgrades. As long as you are doing an actual upgrade and not a clean install, your home folder contents and settings "should" remain intact. A few things (codecs, non-free stuff, etc.) may need to be re-installed, but I can't recall for sure. However, I advise you to follow the basic rule of thumb: If you make changes to your system, back up any thing that is important to you. Here is an example of how things can go wrong. I have done several upgrades to Kubuntu over the years without losing email folders. The upgrade to 8.10 included a change from Kontact to KMail as the default mail client. I backed up my address book but not some emails that I would have preferred to keep. I assumed that the emails would survive the upgrade based on past experience. Wrong. Not a devestating loss, but a lesson learned. Back it up if you want to keep it.

shadow120
February 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for the quick responses i backed up all the important things on a flash drive but theres still a lot of stuff id like to keep but if i lose it its not the end of the world

rburkartjo
February 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
i recently upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 alpha 4 and didnt lose a thing untul alpha5 and then ccs and exaile were lost but that is to be expected. also i use gmail and have updated as far back as 6.04 and never lost any emails