PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] App switcher crashes in Compiz

spencercarran
February 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit.

When I'm using Metacity (the default WM for GNOME) and I have visual effects set to "normal" or "extra," alt-tab produces, respectively, the same effect as Compiz's "Static Application Switcher" and "Application Switcher" while in "extra" super-tab produces the same effect as the Compiz shift switcher. All of these effects work just fine in Metacity, but when I use Compiz and I try to use any of these application switchers, my computer will freeze if any of my windows happens to be minimized. (It actually happened just now, as I was typing the previous sentence, a hard reboot followed and FF managed to restore my previous session). When this happens, Ctrl+alt+backspace does not get me back to a login screen, and ctrl+alt+f1 does not get me a console.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem? Does anyone know of a workaround?

spencercarran
March 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Bump.

Has anyone run into the same issue? I can't think of anything special I've done that would have broken Compiz.

spencercarran
March 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
After some trial and error, it seems to be the Reflection plugin that is causing the problem. Can anyone confirm? (Enable the Reflection plugin, minimize at least one window, and try to use any of the various application switchers)

ehicham
March 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
After some trial and error, it seems to be the Reflection plugin that is causing the problem. Can anyone confirm? (Enable the Reflection plugin, minimize at least one window, and try to use any of the various application switchers)

Seem you are right. I started having the same problem once I have activated the Reflection plugin. after several crashes and reading your post. I desactivated it... and everything went back to normal.

thx for the hints...
Hicham