PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installed under windows

lindsay7
February 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Windows Vista is not happy on my machine. I get blue screens and lock ups. If I install Ubuntu on this machine with the "install under windows" option, is Ubuntu actually running in windows when you start it from the boot menu or is it running on its own.

TenPlus1
February 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
No, if you install Ubuntu under Windows it'll make a virtual partition on your hard-drive and add a boot entry to the windows boot menu so you can select wether you wanna use Vista or Ubuntu, it runs seperately albeit a little slower than having it installed on it's own partition... Good for testing though :)

roopeshv
February 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
It runs as a normal OS does. Install under windows doesn't mean u have installed it as a program which runs on windows. It just makes place for Ubuntu as a registered program so that some other program doesn't eat up its share of space on hard disk
But there is definitely a little performance hit, because the linux runs on ntfs filesystem, and not ext3/2 or any other linux fs. For all other activities, it is your normal ubuntu.

lindsay7
February 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks, what I hope is that when Ubuntu is running in this setup, windows is out of the piture and the blue screens and lock ups will not occur. I would install with the dual boot but since I have been getting the blue screens and lockups, I am worried that there may be a bad hard drive issue, and not just a windows issue. When I am sure of that, I will go to the dual boot.