PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

DeadRobot
February 28th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I'm going to install Ubuntu with it and the price range is anything below 2000 dollars.

I want something that has a built-in webcam and microphone and is relatively easy to install Ubuntu and configure and set up the hardware.

It also needs to be able to last me for 4 years.

I've been looking at the Dell Inspiron and some Toshiba models but I'm not sure which ones would be easy to install Ubuntu on.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mips
February 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thinkpad, not sure about webcam though.

damis648
February 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I would recommend a Dell XPS M1330 (13") or XPS M1530 (15"). Both are superb notebooks, very durable and run great with ubuntu. I have an M1530 and am loving it, just make sure you get the LED backlit display. :popcorn:

spcwingo
February 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
HP DV6000. I just set the wife up with Ubuntu on hers and she loves it. It has a built-in webcam and mic. It runs Ubuntu like a dream and all for $750 at Walmart.

Dylanby
February 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The one thing I regret from my last laptop purchase was not getting one with a matte screen. Make sure the keyboard & screen are to your liking as you'll be stuck with them for a while.

MarblePanther
February 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Make sure you research whatever model you choose thoroughly, looking at possible overheating issues, ease of wireless setup (whether or not its proprietary), how well the integrated graphics work with Ubuntu, the finish of the screen (glossy usually irritates most people), etc...

I've heard great things about Thinkpads + Linux

Toshiba, Fujitsu, and Dell also make good ones

Also you might enjoy getting a nice netbook (~$300) and save a lot of green

gaffurabi
February 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
HP DV6000. I just set the wife up with Ubuntu on hers and she loves it. It has a built-in webcam and mic. It runs Ubuntu like a dream and all for $750 at Walmart.

unfortunately that is a pretty awful laptop. i had some irritating issues:

-bad quality lcd screen. white areas appeared after 3 months of usage
-ridiculous battery life. 1 hr max
-heavy
-heats up like a grill
-horrific touchpad
-awful mic

i also used HP Compaq 8710w for ½ year and that machine was something nice, of course if you have the cash (around $3000) and this is of course if one wants a decent HP. i guess cheaper models are available: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/321957-321957-64295-321838-3329741.html?jumpid=re_R295_prodexp/busproducts/computing-notebook/go-powerful&psn=notebooks_tablet_pcs/notebook_pcs

LookTJ
February 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Just a question, if I may. What is your intended use of this new "laptop" that you will get when decision is made?

newbie2
March 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I'm going to install Ubuntu with it and the price range is anything below 2000 dollars.

I want something that has a built-in webcam and microphone and is relatively easy to install Ubuntu and configure and set up the hardware.

It also needs to be able to last me for 4 years.

I've been looking at the Dell Inspiron and some Toshiba models but I'm not sure which ones would be easy to install Ubuntu on.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
quote from Carla :

Genuine cluefulness in any business is a rare pleasure, and that is why I like ZaReason so much. ZaReason sells Linux boxes: desktop, server, netbook, and pretty much whatever you want, just ask. I first "met" Cathy Malmrose, the CEO of ZaReason, on the Linuxchix mailing lists, but her business didn't really grab my attention until I heard about their Ubuntu keyboard.

This is one of those little bits of clue that set a business apart from the mediocre herd-- I don't want the Windows logo on my computers, nor do a lot of Linux users. ZaReason contracted with a keyboard manufacturer for an Ubuntu logo key instead of a Windows key (http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162&cat=0&page=1). They also sell a Tux logo keyboard. One of those little things that is really a big thing.
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/116642/index.html

DeadRobot
March 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM
Just a question, if I may. What is your intended use of this new "laptop" that you will get when decision is made?

I'm mostly going to use it for school. (Word processing, internet browsing, email, basic things...).

Programming (Python, Java, C++)

Music (I like to DJ and create techno)

And I like to talk to friends online with skype.

Thats pretty much all I do.

Simian Man
March 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
I have 2 HP laptops. Both have run multiple Linux distros with little to no tinkering and neither has had any hardware issues at all. I haven't tried other brands, so I don't know how HP stacks up against them, but I have been satisifed :).

odda
March 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
For me, Lenovo ThinkPad

rosencrantz
March 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Actually, most major manufacturers are linux-compatible by now (I've seen different distributions work well on Toshiba, Samsung, Dell and ThinkPads), so you are not very restricted there. I'd preselect a few models on the basis of processor, RAM, graphics chip, hard drive or whatever you deem important and then check the Ubuntu Laptop testing list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam#Laptop%20tests%20for%20supported %20versions%20of%20Ubuntu) for reviews.
If you want to skype, you might want to check whether there are any ALSA configuration issues with the built-in mic (took me a few hours to figure it out on my Samsung R55/openSuSE).

Cheers, rosencrantz