PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] intalling on a damaged system

PG44
February 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have an instalation disc with no errors.........7.04

My windows ME system has been super slow forever.

I have to hit f2 when booting up so it bypasses something I don't understand.

Anyhows. my question.

Can I format the Hard drive; get rid of windows before booting with the disc?

I'm not sure what will happen if I do this.

PG44
February 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I want to hurry up and get to the part where it formats over the running dog windows ME

so very very slow

any Ideas?

lordharsha
February 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You could download the GParted (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.4.1-2.iso?use_mirror=transact) Live CD if you want to wipe the system before installing Ubuntu, but there isn't really any need to. Ubuntu can format the disk during the installation process.

A piece of advice however. Installing windows once linux is installed is a bit difficult, since you'll need to reinstall GRUB (the boot loader). It can be done, and I can walk you through it if you need. That said, if you want to set up a dual boot, or think you might need to use windows even after ubuntu is installed, it'll be easier for you if you install windows first. That's just my two cents.

PG44
February 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
You could download the GParted (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.4.1-2.iso?use_mirror=transact) Live CD if you want to wipe the system before installing Ubuntu, but there isn't really any need to. Ubuntu can format the disk during the installation process.

I've spent hours looking at a yellow screed waiting on the Ubuntu intall to do it's thing.

Not working that way.

I don't need any of the windows stuff.

I'll look into the GParted live CD......thanks.

Anyone know what happens if I just format the hard drive?

Will the CD still work when I pop in the install CD?

Thanks

lordharsha
February 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
If you format the disk, you get an empty disk, with no data. The CD will still work. Make sure everything you need is backed up, there's no going back.

Ubuntu is pretty good at what it does. The fact that the installation stalls during the formatting could be a source for concern. Try GParted though, it should tell you if there's anything wrong with the hard disk.

PG44
February 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If you format the disk, you get an empty disk, with no data. The CD will still work. Make sure everything you need is backed up, there's no going back.

Ubuntu is pretty good at what it does. The fact that the installation stalls during the formatting could be a source for concern. Try GParted though, it should tell you if there's anything wrong with the hard disk.

Thanks alot............I don't do a lot of downloading....so I can't even find a floppy for GParted......guess I'll go to wallmart and pick one up.

Thans for your help

oldos2er
February 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
What are the hardware specs?