PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pdf program idea

miesnerd
February 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I dont know if Adobe's products can do this or not; quite frankly, I dont care. I've been 100% linux for three years, and Im not about to go buy Acrobat.

So what I think would be a badass idea is a FOSS program that can no only view pdfs, but make notes and highlight them. As this world goes green, more and more often I find myself not printing off articles that I need to read (im a phd student, so i read lots of journal articles). But I cant highlight and go back and write comprehensive papers that bring together all of my ideas; I have to make notes, go back, try to find the right quote, etc. Even though its beyond me, I bet this wouldn't be too hard to implement, either, as there a few pretty good pdf readers/editors out there already.

Miesnerd

Roanoke
March 4th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I believe that this open office extension (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport) may help you.

miesnerd
March 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I believe that this open office extension (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport) may help you.

good call man, thanks. I had totally forgotten about that, which is rather ironic considering how excited I was before.

Roanoke
March 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
No problem, I'm here to help :)
You can mark the thread as solved with the thread tools so others will know you solved your problem.

Majiq
March 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I really think that this needs to be advertised more, because I had absolutely no idea about it and you can't find this when searching the repository for PDF. When you search PDF and linux you don't find it either. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that this should be incorporated into the standard install of Ubuntu, as part of the productivity kit. I don't know about its source and whether it's open or not, but maybe this should be included in the ubuntu restricted addons package.

miesnerd
March 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Majiq its open source. Like I said, I knew about it before, but had totally forgotten. That being said, last I used it, was before the 3.0 release came out. After using it just for a minute or 2, i can already tell they've made HUGE advances since that time. Similar to how OOO is cathing up and surpassing MSWord, it appears with a simple extension, they might be gaining on Acrobat as well.

gandaran
March 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
xournal (find it in synaptic) you can edit, make notes and highlight PDF's with this nice GTK application.

miesnerd
March 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
xournal (find it in synaptic) you can edit, make notes and highlight PDF's with this nice GTK application.

hey man, thanks! I'll check it out. Open source ftw. I knew there had to be some other programs that do this, and even though I have some serious OpenOffice love, this is probably more what I'm looking for.

Roanoke
March 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I agree that it is underadvertised, the only reason I know of it is because I read lifehacker.