PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install oOo3.1 in ubuntu 8.4

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
hello there,
i am using hardy-64bit on a 64bit machine and already having oOo suit installed there i recently downloaded apropriate openoffice.org packages for my distribution i can't get any specific instructions for 64bit istalation so i thought i should ask you people before taking any risk

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
for your king info i downloaded this package
OOo_3.0.1_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

taurus
February 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Maybe try something like (assuming you've saved it to your desktop)

cd ~/Desktop
tar xvzf OOo_3.0.1_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
cd OOo_3.0.1_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US
(or whatever the new directory is)
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
i will try this and i know it will work but i need to know that what is the abreviation of dpkg and what will the tag -i will do?

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
some more details :

i extracted the file on my desktop
so here is the hierarchy

OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379

dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379$ dir
DEBS licenses readmes update
dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379$

in debs there are .deb files which i installedand there was one folder named "desktop-integration" there is one .deb file so i go there and try to install it but failed in that the file name is "openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb"
i have tried twice to install this file one i failed so i UNINSTALLED THE OLD OPENOFFICE.ORG again i tried again failed
and the messages i have got are here

dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
dpkg: regarding openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb containing openoffice.org-debian-menus:
openoffice.org-core conflicts with openoffice.org-unbundled
openoffice.org-debian-menus provides openoffice.org-unbundled and is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing openoffice.org-debian-menus
Errors were encountered while processing:
openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb
dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration$
dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration$

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM
is there any problem i am just checking by restarting

taurus
It's a package manager for Debian. It is a tool to install, build, remove and manage Debian packages (.deb).

ACTIONS
-i, --install package_file...
Install the package. If --recursive or -R option is specified,
package_file must refer to a directory instead.

Installation consists of the following steps:

1. Extract the control files of the new package.

2. If another version of the same package was installed before
the new installation, execute prerm script of the old package.

3. Run preinst script, if provided by the package.

4. Unpack the new files, and at the same time back up the old
files, so that if something goes wrong, they can be restored.

5. If another version of the same package was installed before
the new installation, execute the postrm script of the old pack‐age. Note that this script is executed after the preinst script of the new package, because new files are written at the same time old files are removed.

6. Configure the package. See --configure for detailed information about how this is done.

WildeBeest
Try this, it worked for me.

http://howtoforge.org/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM
as i told earlier the desktop integration package is not working for me i mean not getting installed with dpkg
so should i need to uninstall some packages which are conflictiong?if yes then tell me
here is the screenshot of my synaptic package manager pls check

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/j-m73mBQFu9evdRgkvANfw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKLU8JrDtYOgRA&feat=directlink

taurus
February 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
You still have openoffice.org-gtk (version 2.4) on your machine. How about remove it also? You need to close down synaptic first before you can run the dpkg command.

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
i unistalled that packege by sy.pack. man. ithink it doesnt make any diffrence is it??
still getting errors

dhruv@dhruv-laptop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
dpkg: status database area is locked by another process
dpkg: regarding openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb containing openoffice.org-debian-menus:
openoffice.org-core conflicts with openoffice.org-unbundled
openoffice.org-debian-menus provides openoffice.org-unbundled and is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing openoffice.org-debian-menus
Errors were encountered while processing:
openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb

24dhruv
February 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
what should i do now :confused: the deb package of desktop integration is not getting install please guide me and is there any other way to get started with OOo untill that?

24dhruv
March 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
finally what i do is uninstalled all the OOo packages by

sudo apt-get remove openoffice*

then istalled the new packages worked