PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Slight problem with desktop-switcher (Netbook Launcher-Gnome switcher)

JimmiG
February 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hi all. I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 + the Netbook remix on my Aspire One netbook and so far it's working quite well.

I like the Netbook Launcher interface, but there are instances where I need/want the classic Gnome desktop instead (e.g. when the machine is hooked up to my 22" monitor). I found the desktop-switcher utility which allows you to switch between the two on the fly, but I have a few problems with it.

When switching from the Launcher interface to the classic desktop, Nautilus automatically opens my Home folder even if it wasn't open under the Launcher interface. A bit annoying having to close that every time...How can I make it go to a clean desktop instead?

When running the classic desktop, all newly open windows are maximized, just like they are using the launcher. I can un-maximize the windows manually of course, but it's very tedious having to do that with every window you open. I believe this is caused by the Maximus program, but shouldn't the desktop switcher automatically shut that down when you switch and restart it again when you go back to the launcher? If not, is there any way you can modify it to kill Maximus when switching to Gnome and restart it when switching to the Launcher?

Other than that it seems to be working. It even remembers customized panels for both interfaces.