PDA

View Full Version : SETI At Home

Optimal Aurora
December 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ubuntu Team and other distributed computing people... Why don't you use Seti@home. I was search on the forums and found that you all claim SETI is almost finish with their search. Your wrong. SETI is setting up a new array of receivers called the Allen Array.

Fallen2
December 25th, 2005, 11:40 PM
What's this Alien Array?

Optimal Aurora
December 26th, 2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179146 Read this about it if you don't know...

Bandit
December 26th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I dont think SETI is going away anytime soon.
I stayed glued to the Science Channel when I am not on my PC and as far as I can tell they are almost done setting up the new array of smaller dishes to form a much larger radio dish and also use it in conjunction with the existing dish to give us much larger listening area and much stronger radio reception.

Is there any SETI software in the repositories?

Cheers,
Joey

briancurtin
December 26th, 2005, 02:48 AM
ET was a movie, and ill leave it at that. every time i read about this SETI think i think about how much more of a sham it is (to me, i dont believe in any of that stuff).

Bandit
December 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM
ET was a movie, and ill leave it at that. every time i read about this SETI think i think about how much more of a sham it is (to me, i dont believe in any of that stuff).
Something I heard a while back. I think its a quote from Author C. Clark.
"Discorvering if we are alone or not in the universe has yet to be seen. Both of wich though are horrific."
Do I personaly think that there are other races out there in the universe? I am sure there is, but the universe is so expance the chances of us ever comming into contact with each other is so small it may never happen. I honestly think we will never make it off this rock before another major catastrophy accurs whiping out the human race.
Cheers,
Joey

curtis
December 26th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Didn't anyone watch the Dr Who Christmas special :D
You shouldn't go sending signals deep into space ;)

veratyr
December 26th, 2005, 03:52 AM

The fact is, our solar system is only one of many galaxies in the universe. We have only begun to scratch the surface in terms of space exploration. I find it hard to believe that there is no other form of life (intelligent or not) in existence elsewhere. On a side note, man nasa has some cool images http://hubblesite.org/