PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't install, what's supposed to happen

dancingLoki
February 28th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Here's the deal - I have XP home on an HP laptop & it was overun with virus/trojans. I ran anti-virus & tried to fix but now can't login. XP reinstall may cause data loss- I want to backup first.

Someone suggested ubuntu could do it - I can backup to a USB storage & re-install or otherwise mess with XP in safety. Also I could check out ubuntu.

So I put in CD & soon see UBUNTU screen with install choices, check CD, test memory, boot from first hard disk & choices F1 to F6. I figure Try UBUNTU w/o change to computer. I don't really know what to choose, but it looks good.

Then...NOTHING! I come back a few hours later & it's the same. I hit a few keys & it starts beeping. I try other options but each time the same, the screen never changes. Is something supposed to happen? How long do I wait? Am I supposed to do anything different? Please help.

taurus
February 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM
How much RAM does it have? Or at the initial screen from the LiveCD, press F4 and try the safe graphic mode option.

dancingLoki
February 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM
tried safe graphic mode. don't remember how much RAM, but it's enough for win XP.

how long should I wait with absolutely nothing happening before I know it froze? does ubuntu go to another screen or give some indication that something is happening?

taurus
February 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM
If you know the model, you can go to HP's site and look it up to see how RAM it has. To run Ubuntu LiveCD, you need something like 384MB so if it has 254MB, then you should consider using the alternate CD to install it on your laptop instead of using the LiveCD.

dancingLoki
March 3rd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Model HP dv8000 is listed with 512 MB DDR SDRAM.