PDA

View Full Version : A call to the community for action!

Grant A.
February 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
As you may know, in another thread I started talking about Microsoft suing TomTom over it's implementation of the Linux kernel, I have done a lot of pondering, and taken everyone's comments into consideration.

I may get flamed for making such a radical flip like this, but I think that we should all go down to the store, buy 5 CD-Rs, load Ubuntu on them, and ask local computer stores to hand them out along with a flier.

Why would this be a good idea? It's simple, Microsoft needs to learn that FUD spreading to boost Windows' sales needs to stop. As one user pointed out in the forums, Microsoft seems to spew the most FUD when a new and upcoming version of Windows comes out, such as 3 years ago when they said that F/OSS infringes over 235 Microsoft patents a few months before Vista came out. And now they are trying to scare potential and current Linux users by doing the TomTom suit. Now while some of you may not agree with me on the fact that this directly involves Linux, it's still quite scary for a new user to see this title on CNet or another source of news, "TomTom sued over patents regarding it's implementation of the Linux Kernel" Quite clearly, Microsoft is using scare tactics alongside 3rd party journalism to scare more users into buying Windows 7, and it must be stopped.

So in short, due to Microsoft's FUD, I would like to ask all of the people here to show that when Microsoft spreads FUD, it backfires. So please, go down to your local store, spend $2, burn Ubuntu on just 5 CDs, and ask your local computer store to hand them out. Sure 5 may not sound like a lot, but with the multitude of users of Ubuntu already out there, 5 CDs per person is a lot in the long run.

If you would like, please also hand out a flier talking about F/OSS and its benefits.

Thank you,

Grant A.

Dr Small
February 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
And you actually think that your local store is going to hand them out?

**** A Scene of 3 Employees at a local store *****
Joe: What is this thing?
Bob: I dunno. Ubutnu.. probably some virus.
Dan: virus? You let that kid hand you a virus?
Joe: He told me to hand it out with this flier.
Dan: You nut head. Do you want to get fired? We can get fired for infecting users PCs.
Joe: Oww! That's right.
*Joe throws all 5 Ubuntu CDs in trash

RiceMonster
February 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM
And you actually think that your local store is going to hand them out?

/thread

hyperyoda
February 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM
As you may know, in another thread I started talking about Microsoft suing TomTom over it's implementation of the Linux kernel, I have done a lot of pondering, and taken everyone's comments into consideration.

I may get flamed for making such a radical flip like this, but I think that we should all go down to the store, buy 5 CD-Rs, load Ubuntu on them, and ask local computer stores to hand them out along with a flier.

Why would this be a good idea? It's simple, Microsoft needs to learn that FUD spreading to boost Windows' sales needs to stop. As one user pointed out in the forums, Microsoft seems to spew the most FUD when a new and upcoming version of Windows comes out, such as 3 years ago when they said that F/OSS infringes over 235 Microsoft patents a few months before Vista came out. And now they are trying to scare potential and current Linux users by doing the TomTom suit. Now while some of you may not agree with me on the fact that this directly involves Linux, it's still quite scary for a new user to see this title on CNet or another source of news, "TomTom sued over patents regarding it's implementation of the Linux Kernel" Quite clearly, Microsoft is using scare tactics alongside 3rd party journalism to scare more users into buying Windows 7, and it must be stopped.

So in short, due to Microsoft's FUD, I would like to ask all of the people here to show that when Microsoft spreads FUD, it backfires. So please, go down to your local store, spend $2, burn Ubuntu on just 5 CDs, and ask your local computer store to hand them out. Sure 5 may not sound like a lot, but with the multitude of users of Ubuntu already out there, 5 CDs per person is a lot in the long run.

If you would like, please also hand out a flier talking about F/OSS and its benefits.

Thank you,

Grant A.

Dude you are all over the place. One day you love Linux, next day you are bashing it and praising Microsoft Windows, next day you ask about Mac OS X, next day you encourage everyone to help spread Linux. Please make up your mind.

Zach

will1911a1
February 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
/thread

+1

Grant A.
February 28th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Dude you are all over the place. One day you love Linux, next day you are bashing it and praising Microsoft Windows, next day you ask about Mac OS X, next day you encourage everyone to help spread Linux. Please make up your mind.

Zach

Current events can easily change one's mind. Here's a bit of an explanation on that, I liked Linux until I eventually got to the point where I realized that we were slowly, but surely, becoming Windows. I was never praising Windows, I just do not think it is right to take someone's ideas, no matter how bad they were to you. I am only on Windows as a temporary platform, and I inquired about OS X because it seemed like a good platform, until I got some more information. Either way, I want Microsoft to go down, and they easiest way to do that would be to spread the word about the easiest to use F/OSS operating system out there: Ubuntu.

xpod
February 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM

I had to do a double check to be sure it was the same poster as the recent 3 strikes thread i recalled reading.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Thank you,

Grant A.

I think it's a good idea, except, i have to agree with Dr. Small. Except the part about it being a virus. Anyways, your probably have a better chance with a small local community like a school. I did a poll a while back about operating systems and got more than 100 results. Honestly i think it would be better to do that.

Grant A.
February 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I think it's a good idea, except, i have to agree with Dr. Small. Except the part about it being a virus. Anyways, your probably have a better chance with a small local community like a school. I did a poll a while back about operating systems and got more than 100 results. Honestly i think it would be better to do that.

That does sound like a good idea... so make a school club and hand out Linux CDs there to members?

Vince4Amy
February 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
People will download Linux if they have an interest not just take someone's word from it in a store, and I wouldn't give Ubuntu out, perhaps something a littler easier to use like OpenSuSE or Mandriva.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM
That does sound like a good idea... so make a school club and hand out Linux CDs there to members?

No. Just think of the club, how many people will join for something they basically know zero about, maybe 1 or 2 people will know about linux, and they might just have ubuntu anyways. I was thinking about just making a poster, asking whoever is incharge to post them on the inside walls of the school, and get some sort of basket attached to it containing the cd's.

Vorian Grey
February 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I think Linux should keep on doing just what it's been doing. Linux is for Linux users. If Windows users want to switch, fine. If not, they can keep doing what they have doing and we'll keep doing what we've been doing and we'll all be happy.

Giant Speck
February 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Dude, your flip-flopping is confusing the hell out of me.

hansdown
February 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I think Linux should keep on doing just what it's been doing. Linux is for Linux users. If Windows users want to switch, fine. If not, they can keep doing what they have doing and we'll keep doing what we've been doing and we'll all be happy.

Very well said. Kudos Vorian Grey.

swoll1980
February 28th, 2009, 02:55 AM
People will download Linux if they have an interest not just take someone's word from it in a store, and I wouldn't give Ubuntu out, perhaps something a littler easier to use like OpenSuSE or Mandriva.

Opensuse, and Mandiva are easier?

swoll1980
February 28th, 2009, 02:58 AM
@ OP

Have you ever considered a career in politics?

albinootje
February 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Current events can easily change one's mind. Here's a bit of an explanation on that, I liked Linux until I eventually got to the point where I realized that we were slowly, but surely, becoming Windows.

"We were becoming Windows" ? Erhmm, perhaps you mean just Ubuntu ?
Please first try Arch Linux, Slackware, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris and the like, and then come back :)

Either way, I want Microsoft to go down, and they easiest way to do that would be to spread the word about the easiest to use F/OSS operating system out there: Ubuntu.
You want Microsoft to go down ?
That's easy in 2009, you don't have to do anything, Microsoft is bringing themselves down with Vista, firing employees and then wanting money back from them, and starting to sue companies over Linux implementations.

Apart from that, I'm all for spreading the word of Linux in a timely and efficient way.
Imho that means that if people are not really interested in Linux, and don't have enough spare time for it, and don't bother to buy hardware that is compatible with Linux, then they don't get my support or time, at least not anytime soon.

zmjjmz
February 28th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I would like to note that Best Buy already sells Ubuntu. They're not going to give it out for free.

Grant A.
February 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Dude, your flip-flopping is confusing the hell out of me.

@ OP

Have you ever considered a career in politics?

You know, it wouldn't kill you to read the whole topic before posting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6811720&postcount=6

Giant Speck
February 28th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Wow. Thanks, Grant, for assuming I don't read. :mad:

kk0sse54
February 28th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Current events can easily change one's mind. Here's a bit of an explanation on that, I liked Linux until I eventually got to the point where I realized that we were slowly, but surely, becoming Windows. I was never praising Windows, I just do not think it is right to take someone's ideas, no matter how bad they were to you. I am only on Windows as a temporary platform, and I inquired about OS X because it seemed like a good platform, until I got some more information. Either way, I want Microsoft to go down, and they easiest way to do that would be to spread the word about the easiest to use F/OSS operating system out there: Ubuntu.

Show me where you think Linux is becoming like Windows.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Grant, i really need to say this, learn to recognise some mild sarcasm. And also you are flipping sides very rapidly, first to windows, then to linux then to mac, and back to windows.

sailthesea
February 28th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Maybe I'm wrong here but the world will go along with or without Linux/Ubuntu It's the interests of the community and strengthening the message it gives out that are the important things to consider See Windows go down? Not gonna happen See Linux rise to the challenge? Only if everyone is pulling in the same direction
Just a thought

Grant A.
February 28th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Show me where you think Linux is becoming like Windows.

Mono

Enough said.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Mono

Enough said.

Mono is a simple compiler, i use it. Please if you think that mono is windows then please, will all respect, GT*O.

Giant Speck
February 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Mono is a simple compiler, i use it. Please if you think that mono is windows then please, will all respect, GT*O.

That's a little rude, don't you think?

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM
That's a little rude, don't you think?

No i do not, I think that he needs to do a little more research on mono, and when he does, give us a valid argument.

Grant A.

I will not dignify your comments with a response.

PmDematagoda
From the looks of the posts, this thread seems to be going downhill, therefore I'm going to close it.

Thread closed.