PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confusion reigns supreme

BurntCoffee
February 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hello,

Trying to give ubuntu(8.10) a go, but I can't get it installed.
I have verified the install CD and it checks out. I have tried using the live CD option and the direct install option and I get the same result each time.

The process seems to start fine, when the installation progress bar is about 80% it stops suddenly and bombs me out to what looks like an MS-Dos screen (sorry if this is some kind of Linux Faux Pas but as I'm a Linux virgin its my only frame of reference)

On the screen described above its appears to be going down a check list with [Okay] after everything apart for the final line.
This line is Installing Bluetooth....

Im Running a Intel Core 2 Duo, 3gigs of RAM and a ATI 4800 series.

P.S Can someone link me to a thread where is describes the difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu as this is extremely confusing trying to deside which one to install. Thats if I can get any installed.

Thank you.

anjpr
February 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I would download a new LiveCD, burn the iso image and re-try. The difference between Ubuntu, etc is the GUI (graphical user interface). Go to the following links and check the screenshots: http://www.gnome.org/ www.kde.org and www.xfce.org/ and you will get an idea how your computer will look after a successful installation.

wpshooter
February 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Are you burning the ISO at 4X or slower ?

Have you tried installing using the safe graphics mode parameter ?

If the above does not fix your problem then download, burn and trying installing from the ALTERNATE (text based) version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.

BurntCoffee
March 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Are you burning the ISO at 4X or slower ?

Have you tried installing using the safe graphics mode parameter ?

If the above does not fix your problem then download, burn and trying installing from the ALTERNATE (text based) version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.

I spent the weekend upgrading from XP to Vista, my system is settling down now, so I can again look at installing Ubuntu.

I think I burnt the DVD at a lot higher speed than x4, but when I used the verify CD tool in the install menu it checked out, could there still be some issues? I'll re-burn it anyway.

What is the safe graphics parameter?

If all of the above fails then okay i'll use the alternate install. Does that require me to have any working knowledge of Linus because I have zero.

Thank you.

bekind2thenoob
March 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
What is the safe graphics parameter?

In the live CDs menu (Try Ubuntu without a change to your computer... etc.) There shuuld be several options at the bottom of the screen.

If you press F4 when you reach this menu a small submenu should pop up at the bottom of the screen, you can select safe graphics mode from this menu before selecting your boot option from the main menu.