PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update disc does nothing

CateranLlama
February 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi, I'm trying to update Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.10. This is greatly complicated by the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere and the only internet connection available here is dial-up that drops offline ever few hours. I can't download the disc image at home, I have to arrange to visit one of a few places about 45 minutes away where I can sometimes use a broadband connection to download the file.

I've downloaded the .iso and burned it over to disc. (It looks more or less like the screenshot in your wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD).) But it doesn't seem to want to do anything. I'm using the instructions from somewhere in the wiki, the ones that say to use the alt-f2 to type in gk... something... and assume it'll update. It asks me for my password, then nothing happens. Did I not get the burn right? Am I going to have to go download it again?

Thanks for any help you can give me, Llama

avtolle
February 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
A few thoughts. Did you check the md5sum of the iso you downloaded before burning it to disk? When you burned it to disk, did you burn it at a slow speed (4x is what I do)?

Which screenshot is the one it looks like, "more or less"? The one that has the green "Correct" or the red "Incorrect"?

CateranLlama
February 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry, forgot there were two on that page, it looks more or less like the "correct" one.

I have a md5sum, what do I need to be checking about it?

avtolle
February 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Does it match the correct md5sum for the iso as listed in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes?

CateranLlama
February 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Um. You don't mean the file on the disc called md5sum. OK ... checking...

It's this one. Is that right?
24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

avtolle
February 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yep, if you downloaded the Desktop iso for 386, and if that's the md5sum you got when you ran the check on the iso before you burned it to disk.

CateranLlama
February 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Oh. So the .iso is OK? And I don't have to make another trip to someplace I can download it?

Cool. Thank you. Though now I've no idea what I'm doing wrong...