PDA

View Full Version : Know the TRUTH about Linux!

Limulus
February 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/2009/02/27/know-the-truth/

(sent to me by my wife, who uses a Mac ;)

bsharp
February 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Lol pretty clever.

Therion
February 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Meh...

It's just not that funny: :KS:KS 1/2

Giant Speck
February 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Kind of lame...

chucky chuckaluck
February 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
i'm not sure i get it (or, is there nothing really to get?).

Polygon
February 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
its a play on words, the whole premise of the comic is that linux is a virus (or std, which makes more sense, ever see those commercials for syphilis drugs?) and since he uses a mac, he is 'safe' from the 'virus'

it made me chuckle =)

chucky chuckaluck
February 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
its a play on words, the whole premise of the comic is that linux is a virus (or std, which makes more sense, ever see those commercials for syphilis drugs?) and since he uses a mac, he is 'safe' from the 'virus'

oh.

jespdj
February 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
kind of lame...
+1

clw3388
February 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I peronally dont mind mac,... so long as you dont have to fix or customize anything....

Kinda like having a car with the hood welded down? not really a good thing to do...

linux being refered to as a virus??? I thought this title was already taken by Microsoft? M$= virus

liamnixon
February 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
The second panel made me laugh for some reason.

Naiki Muliaina
February 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thats one of the worst web comic site ive seen ^^ I went back over the previous 20 or so comic strips and didnt find any of them funny ^^ Back to XKCD.com for me ^^

HavocXphere
February 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
So in the first & second pic the author is portraying linux as a virus...and then he(/she) kinda promotes the linux website in the third.:confused:

No wonder the author says

Not sure how this comic will be perceived by Linux users.

cmat
February 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I think people are missing the point. I'm almost certain that the comic is about the fact that Linux can run on a wide range of hardware.

MarblePanther
February 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thats one of the worst web comic site ive seen ^^ I went back over the previous 20 or so comic strips and didnt find any of them funny ^^ Back to XKCD.com for me ^^

xkcd is my favorite comic

The one the OP posted just...is kinda lame :|

jimi_hendrix
February 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
the little green bird (penguin) makes it funny...other than that it sounds like some add telling you to get checked for some disease :(

"ive always used *, i can never get *....false, the * virus can survive everywhere"

bakedbeans4life
February 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I thought it was a part of Microsoft's "Get The Facts" campaign. I saw the comic strip then got confused. Just for a second I wondered if the **whoosh** over my head was the sound of my own spliff induced stupidity.

Being a geek, what is an STD. I am just not that familiar with that acronym. Is it a new solid state memory system invented my some obscure Japanese technology company? :P

days_of_ruin
February 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
kind of lame...

+1

+1

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I like good comedy and I do like occasional laughs on Linux :D.
I like XKCD,
I like occasional Linux hater blog (both of them)
and am a "active" member of Linsux, to vent all problems that I get while using Linux.

But this comic is "strange" at best.
It seems to propose three (or two) ideas (at least that's how I see it):
First it tries to "scare" MAC users that even they're not safe from Linux :D
And secondly it wants to further the message that Linux can be ran everywhere (that reminds me on some other thread where someone said: "Linux can run on turd" or the "how to install Linux on dead badger"...)
But this is again done in very dualistic way. So mostly it's perceived as that Linux is an STD (sexual transmited disease - for the one who didn't know what it meant) and thus a virus.
Or just the fact that Linux can be ran on any hardware.

The last pane probably tries to say check the linux.com to see if this is true.

All-in-all I feel that it tries to communicate too much informations and trying to "interpelate" (sorry I just can't remember less scientific word for it at this moment) too wide audience. And thus failing to get a clear message to those that read it.
I give it :KS:KS /2 out of 5.

ZuLuuuuuu
February 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Her right arm is too thick.

MarblePanther
February 28th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Her right arm is too thick.

That's not her arm you're seeing, its the guy's

I think. Nvm, either way it does look pretty bad..Oh well

ZuLuuuuuu
February 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM
That's not her arm you're seeing, its the guy's

I think. Nvm, either way it does look pretty bad..Oh well

No, its her. Look again, or if you can't follow, you can look at the colors to differenciate.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
+1
+2

MarblePanther
February 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM
No, its her. Look again, or if you can't follow, you can look at the colors to differenciate.

Yeah, sorry. Realized that after I posted. :P

+2

-2 Now you're back at zero, so I get to go:

+1

:) :) :)

cmat
February 28th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Some of the comments people made on it were pretty funny.

m-p{3}
February 28th, 2009, 03:17 AM
According to the comic strips, Linux sounds like a disease :(