PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on Mac AlBook running 10.2.8

ACarlson
February 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
This is probably more of a Mac OS X question, but hopefully I can find some experts here.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a neglected 12" Aluminum Mac laptop running 10.2.8 (badly). I'm looking to wipe the HD and start fresh with Ubuntu. I have burned the iso disc and checked the burn (with my new Macbook), but I cannot get the AlBook to recognize the disc as bootable. I have tried to start up from the CD on restart by holding C during start up (booted with OS); tried option+cmd+del with no results (after searching, it eventually booted with OS); tried option to choose the disc (disc was not found, booted with OS). No dice.

Is there a last-resort method to force start up from a disc?

I suppose I'll burn another disc and triple check the burn and the iso files.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

avtolle
February 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Question for you, as I am a bit ignorant: is this particular Mac a G4 ppc machine, or does it have an Intel chip? If it is a ppc model, you will need to download the ppc version of 8.10 (alternate, BTW; to my knowledge there was no "final" desktop (Live) CD iso released). Should this be applicable, go to the Apple Users Forum, and from the sticky get the correct site from where the ppc release may be downloaded.

If your machine has an Intel chip, then (while I would encourage you to go to the Apple Users forum in any event for more particularized assistance) I'd check the iso and the burn. I'd also recommend you take a look at your CD drive on the Al Mac, and give it a cleaning if needed.

EDIT: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/intrepid/release/ link to ppc version of 8.10, if needed.