PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Editing......????????

brandon82
February 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
At the moment, I am dual booting Ubuntu 8.10 with XP MCE. I have successfully found programs in Ubuntu that, for the most part, go above and beyond the similar Windows program. The ONLY reason i still use XP is for video editing. I am using Studio 10, and Avid Liquid for most projects. I am MORE than willing to ditch windows completely if I could find something to handle my editing tasks. Can anyone help?

Therion
February 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Cinelerra perhaps?

http://cinelerra.org/about.php

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php

kelvin spratt
February 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Winff is a very good converter to use prior to Cinelerra. and Devede is excellent for making DVDs. Kdenlive is also very good with some distros.

eldragon
February 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
avidemux as a transcoding frontend...

cotcot
February 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Studio 10 : do you mean Pinaccle ?

If so then you should checkout cinelerra or blender VSE.

brandon82
March 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Yes, Its Pinnacle. I am becoming very frustrated though with its bugs/glitches. It wouldn't take very much at the moment to convince me to make the switch

cotcot
March 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
What are your 'tasks' ?

joey-elijah
March 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
As a short-film maker i am continually annoyed/frustrated by this one area where linux pretty much fails.

Sure it has some programmes - but each have features the others don't, some are buggy, some just crash mid-project and most are the most user-unfriendly applications in creation.

Most 'normal' users require nothing more complex than a 'movie maker' equivilent - but the nearest thing to that is Kino and it's UI is very strange.

iMovie is a perfect example of a powerful product with a great and easy-to-use interface - i only hope some of the many different video editors on linux merge and refocus their energies on stabilty and UI.

until then it's iMovie and Adobe Premier/After effects for me!

brandon82
March 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
My tasks would be importing video, doing basic editing (Adding menus, sub-menus, transitions, some vid. effects, adding audio tracks, etc.). Yes, I was referring to Pinnacle Studio in the prev. post.

Also, I have been trying to add 'easter eggs' into some of my vids, by having a small button of some sort appear in the lower corner of the screen for only 2 or 3 seconds. If the OK buttom is pressed on the remote during this time, the vid. jumps to a 'bonus' track, and upon finish, goes back to the main video track. When I try this in Pinnacle, once the menu is entered, it loops through with no exit to continue the video. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks