PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Professional Name For My Server???

Johnsie
February 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi, I've set up an Ubuntu server in work. It was originally named "Ubuntu-Test" but I want a new name that is cool and professional. I work for a mailing company.

Anyone have any ideas?

brokenLockpick
February 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I would avoid anything that gives away the distro, and for what it's worth most times I see a theme with servers. On my campus for example all servers are named after birds. At a friend's workplace they were all named after Greek mythological figures. The theme thing seems to be the pattern I see alot, no idea how "professional" it is.

Greg
February 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
QIAVSSTNOKWID
QIAVSSTNOKWID is a very secret server that no one knows what it does

/Is bad with recursive acronyms.

saulgoode
February 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
You could name it "Franklin" after the first Postmaster General of the United States Postal Service. (One of my computers is named "Franklin" owing to his contribution to the science of electricity, joining my other machines Tesla, Edison, Faraday, and Gauss).

Johnsie
February 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Very patriotic. I'm not American so that wouldn't make much sense to people here. We were sending mail while you guys were still living in teepees and hunting buffalo :-)

abn91c
February 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
since you are looking at a USPS "theme" how about Eagle One, after the USPS logo

wilsonmuse
February 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
First that came to my mind was Mircurios after the Roman messenger-god ( also called Mercury)

koenn
February 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
First that came to my mind was Mercurius after the Roman messenger-god ( also called Mercury)

fixed.

Kareeser
February 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Johnsie, where do you live?

As for your server name, might I suggest "server"? ;)

Works great for me! LOL

(serious)

sanemanmad
February 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I work in a DC and I can tell you some of the biggest companies.... (no need to disclose) use all sorts of naming conventions. Instances,
Location(s), (Disney character's/Movie), others do stuff like COMPANY-WS01 ; COMPANY-UNX01, or One in particular uses women's name's. So I don't think Professionalism as much as creativity matters. :P

ynnhoj
February 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
yip, i like mercury. best name suggested so far. or, how about mailer-daemon? :D

Kareeser
February 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
manic_mailman?

BigSilly
February 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
How about Witchcraft? I like that.

jenkinbr
February 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
You could always call it winserv and confuse the heck out of anyone who tries to break in.

sydbat
February 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hal 9000

Skripka
February 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Lost_and_not_Found

tbastian
February 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I know someone who names all his laptops 'marvin' after the robot in 'the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy' and all his desktops 'zaphod' after the president in the same series.

I've always found that pretty cool.

bashveank
February 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I name all my boxes after latin animals - Cervus, Leo, Panthera, etc....

Joeb454
February 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I named mine after star wars planets :p

smbm
February 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Ours are named after trees and shrubs our Myth server was the first, it's called The_Larch (originally after the Python sketch but the trees and shrubs thing caught on).

whoop
February 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I vote for "Theodore", after Theodore John Kaczynski the unabomber. Can't go wrong there :p

OffHand
February 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
We use parts of the human body...

Our file server is companyname-stomach, our exchange is companyname-heart, ldap is companyname-fingers...

:guitar:

linuxisevolution
February 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
My server just shows up as "*" according to my router... It's 15 years old and running strong so it's name changed from closetmachine to The Little Devil. :lolflag:

linuxisevolution
February 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
We use parts of the human body...

Our file server is companyname-stomach, our exchange is companyname-heart, ldap is companyname-fingers...

:guitar:

Is the loadbalancer companyname-speen?

v8YKxgHe
February 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Planets, Spacecraft, Galaxies, Elements of the Periodic Table (could match them up with IP as well), 7 Dwarfs, World Capitals, Major Cities, Continents, Animals, Car Makes, Matrix characters names, etc

Go wild, just stick to a theme (until it runs out) =)

Kareeser
February 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Names that have fallen out of common usage.

"Ethel", anyone?

DMcA
February 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
My University uses hermes for the mail server, in a similar vein to the already suggested mercury. They've actually got a really good naming convention, mostly birds but also birds that fit the specific roles. Raven is the authentication server (Ravens guard the tower of london), Magpie is for central archiving (Magpies collect things), Lapwing is for wireless, etc.

darkorical
June 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
We named ours after their main software purpose
Crisis (custom software package)
LinuxWeb (internal web server)
AutoBot (system dedicated to automated processes)
Exchange
etc...

I would suggest going with models of fast cars but with the recent bankrupcy of GM it might not be such a good thing

Firestem4
June 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
My company does work with Aviation. Our Domain Controller is called Alpha and our mirror is Bravo.

We don't have a standard naming convention for the servers..One of our NAS boxes is called Terable =P

0per4t0r
June 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
UBU-T1

(Ubuntu test 1-don't tell people what it means, though ;))

dragos240
June 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Server, main.

charly17201
June 3rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi, I've set up an Ubuntu server in work. It was originally named "Ubuntu-Test" but I want a new name that is cool and professional. I work for a mailing company.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just to throw 2 cents in..... and I think it'd be funny "Gone_Postal"?

Keithhed
June 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Just to throw 2 cents in..... and I think it'd be funny "Gone_Postal"?

lmao!