PDA

View Full Version : Why does Thunderbird need to know all of this server stuff?

NintendoTogepi
February 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I don't know the answer...shouldn't my email addresses be enough?

Ocxic
February 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Every e-mail client/program needs to know that server stuff.

Without it it's like mailing a letter without having a post office, or mailman.
You may have the mailing address but no mailbox to put it in.

swoll1980
February 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I don't know the answer...shouldn't my email addresses be enough?

mail clients need to know the server settings to get the mail. Who's your provider?

cb951303
February 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
actually op is right. mail servers and port configurations can be guessed from the mail address. outlook had such an option if I remember correctly.

EDIT: But it's not always possible. So that's why thunderbird and all other mail clients ask for it :popcorn:

Vince4Amy
February 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Imagine how bloated it would be if it stored every detail for every Mail Provider.

3rdalbum
February 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Trust me, your ISP will be able to tell you what settings to use. It's probably on their Support page under "How to set up your e-mail account".

koenn
February 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Imagine how bloated it would be if it stored every detail for every Mail Provider.

it could assume default service ports for smtp, pop3 or imap, and query DNS for smtp servers in the domain shown in the email address.

you'd still have to know the address of the pop/imap servers (assuming its different from the smtp server), and mailbox credentials, though.

geoken
February 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure the settings for the top 5 or 10 could fit into a <5kb text file.

With that said, it already has a wizard for some of the common ones in TB3. For example, gmail only requires your address and whether you want pop or imap.