PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitions renaming in Ubuntu??

Will4
February 27th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hey folks,

can you give me an advise on what software to use for formating NTFS and renaming a partition within ubuntu and without doing it at a Windows PC??

much appreciation,

Will

yther
February 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure about renaming, but I think any form of fdisk can do that. Try cfdisk or gparted, for a CLI and GUI version, respectively. As for creation and formatting, either ntfs-3g or ntfstools should provide that. It looks (from the blurb in the .deb) like ntfstools gives the mkntfs command, which—as you might expect—allows you to make a NTFS volume.

I have not used this for anything important, but I read from my laptop's NTFS volume almost every day. Vista has never complained about anything Linux has done to the files on that drive. :)

Will4
February 27th, 2009, 05:34 AM
OK thanks yther,
i'll give it a try... of course, it never occurs to me to try mkntfs...

thanks!

Herman
February 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
GParted can Detect, Read, Create, Grow, Shrink, Move, Copy, Check and Label your NTFS, refer to the following link, GParted Features (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php).

It helps if you are using the latest version of GParted, I don't think GParted in Hardy Heron has the labelling feature, but Intrepid Ibex's and later GParted, or recent GParted Live CD or Parted Magic CDs should have all the features you require.

They may be being a little optomistic claiming GParted can 'Check' NTFS, I think they mean they mark it with a 'dirty' flag and let Windows check it next time Windows boots.
Nevertheless, GParted is by far the best partition editor around.

GParted is in your Ubuntu 'Desktop' Live CD, just go 'System'-->'Administration'-->'Partition Editor', (GParted).

You can also easily install GParted in your hard disk installed Ubuntu operating system.