PDA

View Full Version : Sony vegas alternative idea KINK.

dragos240
February 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM
It's something i thought of today, it will be an open sourced alternative to the very expensive and windose only non-linear media editor sony vegas. It will stand for Kink Is Not Kdenlive. I couldn't really stand the thing in the first place, so i'm deciding to start developing this, perhaps in a few months i will release an alpha version and you guys can work out the bugs. I really think linux needs a decent non-linear media editor, gaming, media editing, and marketing is what linux is falling behind in. Why not make a decent media editor, AND make it open source. What do you think?

Greg
February 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I doubt that anyone would complain if you make a program :)

It sounds like a good idea and one that people would use, and with this community I doubt you'll have trouble finding people willing to test for you.

dragos240
February 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I doubt that anyone would complain if you make a program :)

It sounds like a good idea and one that people would use, and with this community I doubt you'll have trouble finding people willing to test for you.

Yeah the only problem is finding spare time to get it up. I'm still in school so this may take a while, but i will make it.

Bölvağur
February 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=dragos240;6807055the very expensive and windose only non-linear media editor sony vegas.[/QUOTE]
I really like sony vegas, but it is way too overpriced for amateur video editing software.
Which reminds me... wouldn't it be better to try to look at Avid and perhaps Final Cut instead of sony vegas?

btw I will not have time to contribute. I am preparing something ^^ something that will be fun and hopefully pay off.

23meg
February 27th, 2009, 03:40 AM
You may want to join forces with Lumiera (http://lumiera.org/), which is a newly initiated project that aims to produce a professional video editor, instead of starting from scratch.

slayne678
February 27th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Vegas Video is really one of the only reasons I use my windows partition, so yeah I totally dig that. do it up.

kevin11951
February 27th, 2009, 04:46 AM
It will stand for Kink Is Not Kdenlive?

What is wrong with kdenlive, I feel that the devs of kdenlive are really trying to make something great, and are beginning to succeed, a few bug fixes from now, and it will be better than imovie. Kdenlive recently (since kde 4) has begun to reshape it for the better, if you havent used it recently, go try it.

dragos240
February 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM
What is wrong with kdenlive, I feel that the devs of kdenlive are really trying to make something great, and are beginning to succeed, a few bug fixes from now, and it will be better than imovie. Kdenlive recently (since kde 4) has begun to reshape it for the better, if you havent used it recently, go try it.

That's your opinion, KDEnlive is just not the type of non-liniar movie editor that most editors want, also i can't stand KDE ;). Oh course they're trying hard, just not in the direction that I like, i hate to tell people to change they're ways, thats why i have started this project.

I really like sony vegas, but it is way too overpriced for amateur video editing software.
Which reminds me... wouldn't it be better to try to look at Avid and perhaps Final Cut instead of sony vegas?

btw I will not have time to contribute. I am preparing something ^^ something that will be fun and hopefully pay off.

Yes those ARE different editors, but lack the features and effects of sony vegas. They're much different.

bogdan_5844
June 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
don't wanna be a douchebag,but wouldn't be more useful if you joined forces with the Lumiera project,as 23meg said? ;) duplication of effort is pretty useless and leads to nowhere.(I myself will join the Lumiera project as soon as I learn more C++ programming :) )

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM
don't wanna be a douchebag,but wouldn't be more useful if you joined forces with the Lumiera project,as 23meg said? ;) duplication of effort is pretty useless and leads to nowhere.(I myself will join the Lumiera project as soon as I learn more C++ programming :) )

+1

it's better that way. plus, you'll run out of ambition because this sounds like a lot of work.

Warpnow
June 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Plus sony vegas is a bad editor to look at when making one. It has little market share and is not used by professionals. Avid/Premiere/Final Cut are what should be looked at.

Though any professional level video editor would be a godsend.

To be honest, I have tried dozens of video editors. None of them beat windows movie maker, yet alone can compete with a real video editor.

DeadSuperHero
June 4th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I personally really like KDEnlive. It may not be "Professional Grade", but for the desktop user, it gets the job done nicely.

That said, I wish you the best in your endeavors.

zekopeko
June 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
a far better option would be to help with the development of PiTiVi.

http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Main_Page

it uses gstreamer and is progressing rapidly. for now it's going along the lines of windows movie maker (ie. simple home editing) but the devs want to create a framework for larger/professional programs.

bionan1
March 14th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Sorry my poor english...

I don't understant: why so many video editors projects in linux and all of them very primitive when compare with a prog like VEGAS? Why not joining forces and make a really decent video editor for linux? A program like a video editor is not a one man's task! It's necessary a very specialized team of programadors. So, why not joining forces??

juancarlospaco
March 14th, 2010, 03:01 AM
OpenShot?

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Why was this bumped?

juancarlospaco
March 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Doesn't matter, how the project goes...?

DeadSuperHero
March 14th, 2010, 05:16 AM
That's your opinion, KDEnlive is just not the type of non-liniar movie editor that most editors want...

I would disagree, to a point at least. In my experience with it on Lucid, it really has become a very stable and mature piece of software. Sure, it's KDE-based, but with qGTKStyle and a globally-installed icon theme, it can at least blend into Gnome well enough.

OpenShot is another promising GTK-based video editor. For something more robust, you could try Cinelerra or Open Movie Editor.

CinePaint, previously known as FilmGimp, has been used by major studios for in-depth editing.

I think the best thing you could do is try to find a way to unify these efforts under a package or something like that. I think if the right tools were bundled together, it would have tons of potential. You could even call it something like Project Hollywood or something like that.