PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Screen size multiplies, no control!

tapasray
February 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I am new to Ubuntu, in the sense that this is the first time I am trying to use it. I did install it inside Windows XP earlier, but did not use it and removed it after a while.

This time, after installing Kubuntu 8.04 on my Acer Aspire 5003WLMi laptop from a Canonical disk, I am facing two critical issues that have made the computer unusable. There is no other OS now - I have accidentally wiped out the original Windows XP while repartitioning my hard drive and installing Kubuntu. I am describing one of the issues in this post, and will really appreciate help! Thanks in advance!

After installing Kubuntu, I was trying out different themes, folder sizes, etc. I was having trouble restoring default values for some time but it worked eventually. However, at one point the window became too large to fit in the laptop screen, even though I do not remember changing the screen resolution in the 'monitor and display' settings. At this point I tried to adjust the screen resolution repeatedly, but it only increased the window size. It is now so large that I cannot even see most of the 'k menu'items when I click on the Kubuntu equivalent of Windows 'start' button. Here are the 'Display and
graphics' specification of my machine from the manual:

15" XGA color TFT LCD with 1024 x 768 pixel resolution
15.4" WXGA color TFT LCD with 1280 x 800 pixel resolution
15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite color TFT LCD with 1280 x 800 pixel
resolution
16.7 million colors
SiS M760GX integrated 3D graphics, with up to 128 MB of video
memory
supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 8.0
Dual independent display support
MPEG-2/DVD hardware-assisted capability