PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here Microsoft "Certified"?

semitone36
February 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I saw this article (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/feb09/02-22elevateamericapr.mspx) on slashdot and found it interesting.

At first I thought it was just Microsoft trying to keep a stranglehold on its market share by creating a new generation of people who are only skilled with Windows. But then I figured that having a good knowledge of Windows might help in the job market once Im out of college.

Does anyone know about this? Are these "certifications" actually legit/recognized by employers? (BTW I looked into it a little further and found out that Microsoft charges more for a 3 day "class" than most universities do per semester credit lol)

TalioGladius
February 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah I've held every MCSE since NT and have the MCITP:Enterprise Admin for 2008. I've done M$ server stuff for years, because you can't make any money with other platforms in IT. At least not as easily.

Yet ALL of my machines outside of the data center run some distro of linux.

Employers will always recognize M$ certs because there are so many all microsoft shops out there. Vendor neutral shops are becoming hard to come by sadly.

rickyjones
February 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I saw this article (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/feb09/02-22elevateamericapr.mspx) on slashdot and found it interesting.

At first I thought it was just Microsoft trying to keep a stranglehold on its market share by creating a new generation of people who are only skilled with Windows. But then I figured that having a good knowledge of Windows might help in the job market once Im out of college.

Does anyone know about this? Are these "certifications" actually legit/recognized by employers? (BTW I looked into it a little further and found out that Microsoft charges more for a 3 day "class" than most universities do per semester credit lol)

I earned by MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) for Windows 2000 Professional and Server when I was in high school. Only cost to me was the testing. You can pick up the books at any major bookstore, study, then take the certification tests somewhere. You pass, you get certified.

Yes, it is a good thing to have in my opinion. My current employer looks favorably on certs as a good foundation, then couples it with experience to determine the best candidate for the job.

If you can afford it then it is not a bad thing to do. I bought the Windows Server 2003 books from Amazon, brand new, for about $200 altogether if I recall correctly. Tests are about $130 individually.

Thanks,
Richard

semitone36
February 26th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah I've held every MCSE since NT

Holy crap how have I never heard of this before?

TalioGladius
February 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Holy crap how have I never heard of this before?Never heard of MCSE? Most pervasive cert there is probably.

ivaarsen
February 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I took MCSE classes in college (Windows 200 family), but (I don't know why) never took the exams.

I happened to get a good introductory job in IT, where they are more than willing to send me to class and/or pay for my exams. I just need to dig in and do it. I could probably get my MCP in XP at any time I wanted, I know it backwards pretty much...I spend so much time on it at work. Though I know that a lot of the MCP for XP deals more with the little known stuff, such as network installs, etc.

But I agree, if you're going to be in the IT field, you should probably chase some of these certs. Either that or networking, such as Cisco. Those are nifty too. They make you 'worth more,' which is never a bad thing.

lykwydchykyn
February 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
They don't hurt and they're easy to get. Although I got derailed on my way to MCSA by getting into Linux. But by then I had a job, so meh.

semitone36
February 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
But I agree, if you're going to be in the IT field, you should probably chase some of these certs. Either that or networking, such as Cisco. Those are nifty too. They make you 'worth more,' which is never a bad thing.

Im more of a software engineer than a network admin but my interest is definitely piqued

Fire_Chief
February 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah I've held every MCSE since NT and have the MCITP:Enterprise Admin for 2008. I've done M$ server stuff for years, because you can't make any money with other platforms in IT. At least not as easily.

Yet ALL of my machines outside of the data center run some distro of linux.

Employers will always recognize M$ certs because there are so many all microsoft shops out there. Vendor neutral shops are becoming hard to come by sadly.

This is the dead on truth. I love Linux and will always run Linux in my home and where I can at work. But the market demands strong Windows skills...especially in this economy. If you've got the skills and the certs, your value to that company goes up...sometimes way up. Think of it like a college bachelor's degree. 90% or so of what you learn you may never use, but the value that is placed on the certificate of graduation by the marketplace will open more doors for you than you thought possible.

BTW, I am working towards some Linux certs as well but the necessity of a good job push the priority to MS Certs.

-Cheers!

mpsii
February 26th, 2009, 09:18 PM
They don't hurt and they're easy to get. Although I got derailed on my way to MCSA by getting into Linux. But by then I had a job, so meh.

The Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server were easy...

BUT, DAMN! the Designing Active Directory and Desigining Network Infrastructure were just PAINFUL to take. I have my MCSE 2000, but have never updated. I have been working for a software company that bases all new releases on Linux, then Windows. And, certs don't matter once you are in the door. But, my MCSE helped me get the job to begin with.

lykwydchykyn
February 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server were easy...

BUT, DAMN! the Designing Active Directory and Desigining Network Infrastructure were just PAINFUL to take. I have my MCSE 2000, but have never updated. I have been working for a software company that bases all new releases on Linux, then Windows. And, certs don't matter once you are in the door. But, my MCSE helped me get the job to begin with.

That's about where I fouled up too. Those courses are SO dry and pedantic. It's just one list of step-by-step after another, with very little focus on how anything actually works. I just couldn't take it; I'm more of a take-it-apart-and-see-how-it-ticks kind of guy. Hence my diversion into Linux.

Most cert courses are that way, though, microsoft or otherwise. That's why I don't have as many certs as I probably should at this point.

mpsii
February 27th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Actually, all of the designing courses and exams were case study and application of the knowledge obtained in the base courses.

For example, in the Active Directory course and exam, you studied and were tested on the components and theory of AD. In the designing course and exam, you actually had to apply it (in the fashion Microsoft wanted). The hardest part was trying to remember: "It's not how _I_ would do it. It is how _Microsoft_ would have me do it."

Giant Speck
February 27th, 2009, 06:01 AM
What does being Microsoft Certified mean? You're really good at rebooting and sending error reports?

:lolflag:

Just kidding!

lykwydchykyn
February 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
What does being Microsoft Certified mean? You're really good at rebooting and sending error reports?

:lolflag:

Just kidding!

You learn the 3 R's of tech support:

1. reboot
2. repair
3. reinstall

phrostbyte
February 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM
You learn the 3 R's of tech support:

1. reboot
2. repair
3. reinstall

I got by 2 years of Windows sysadmin work by following this simple algorithm:

if broken == true:
reboot()
if broken == true:
reinstall()
if broken == true:
bang_head_against_wall()

:p

booshire
February 27th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I took some classes for MCP and MCSA, pointless, right when longhorn was in beta 2. Pointless. Not only did they want to charge out the A__ but were going to make me retake tests for more $$ a year later when vista/longhorn came out. Being that I was at a job where we were developing/testing new software for the two, I decided not to take it (did you see the longhorn beta? horrible, a little better now). I interviewed for a few jobs a couple months back and told them this and they said "Oh, so you have good experience with Vista/2008, that is all we needed to know." Plus you get paid less for Windows admin than Unix/Linux admin. Support too. From my experience as long as you know what you are talking about, a windows cert makes absolutely no difference (unless the company is full of a__holes), then, why work there when you know you will get no where?