PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I´m Lost

marias70
February 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
hi
I´m trying to install UBUNTU from the CD on my VAIO laptop, after BOOT whit the CD inside the menu shows but after pressing ENTER on install, it get freeze for a minut and then shut off.
please help me up

lindsay7
February 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Could you clear up, 1. where did the install disk come from. 2. what menu are you seeing?

marias70
February 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
ok
I did burn the CD following the instructions on the UBUNTU page, the menu is the initial one i choose the first option "try ubuntu without any change to your computer", and then nothing happens
the laptop is a VAIO pcg k35f

wpshooter
February 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
ALWAYS, the first thing you should do AFTER downloading and burning a Ubuntu CD, is to run the CD verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu. Do this BEFORE trying to either boot to the live CD or install from that CD. Do this whether you did any kind of verification during the CD burn process or not.

Good luck.

lindsay7
February 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Try this and see what you get. Start windows like normal. Put the Ubuntu disk in the cd or dvd drive. Find and click on the drive to look at the contents of the disk. I think you will get a menu of options for running ubuntu or it may not show anything. When you download the ubuntu software it is an iso program that will self load when you start the computer with it in the drive. Some downloads that I have done have the menu that I mentioned above. I am just not sure they all work like this.

marias70
February 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
the icon displays an installation menu, I chose the install in windows ,and start extracting files for a while, but later it shows a message "the cd is used by another application" and stops the installation

lindsay7
February 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
In windows, you get the "xxxx is used by another application" when device or program is open or being used someplace else. To see if it might be a proble with the ubunto install disk. I would try two things. First, I would restart windows without the ubuntu disk in the drive. When windows is up and everything looks ok, put the ubuntu disk in the drive and try to run it again. If you have the same problem, then turn of your computer with the ubuntu disk in the drive and restart. You should see the ubuntu menu when it starts. arrow down to the command that talks about checking the ubuntu disk and see what happens. It may tell you the the disk is bad in which case you need to download it again. I do not think you should be having this much trouble unless there is a problem with the file that you downloaded. You can try to download it again or you could order one online, you can get on from Ubuntu (look for the web site) or you can find them on ebay for a couple of dollars, then you know that you will get a disk that is good and ready to load.

lindsay7
February 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
One more thought, Which download of Ubuntu did you get? I know there is one for 386 type machines and one for 64 bit machines. I am now sure if there are others. Most machines I think will work with the 386 download. If you can find out or discribe what computer you are putting ubunto on someone of the forums may be able to varify what processor you have, I you are trying to install the wrong version you will have problems.