PDA

View Full Version : German IT Job Status

konqueror7
February 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
well, i just graduated this october with a degree in software engineering. i'm a half-german and half-filipino.

as of now, i'm doing freelance software development here in the philippines, and i'm planning to go to germany and find a work there (maybe around 3rd quarter this year).

i just want to know what is the current state of IT there? am i able to find a job (also i'm still reviewing my german language since my last time there was when i was in grade 3), how do they treat new employees, or what are the common policies?

bostonaholic
February 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'd also like to know about IT jobs in Germany, seeing that the US is going to sh*t. I'm a software developer with a very stable job, but Germany has always been in the back of my mind.

konqueror7
February 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
bumb...

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM
anyone? just wanted a firsthand opinion...

Elfy
February 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Why don't you ask on the German forum - they should have some idea there I would have thought.

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
mmm..good idea...thanks...i'll try there...but then i only recognize few german words...

Elfy
February 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Think of it as a free lesson :D

wieman01
February 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
The German IT market is in decline as well, it's been hit hard as of late, but it is faring much better than the rest of the market.

As for jobs, yes, I am a frequent reader of www.heise.de and it appears to me that there are still jobs to be had despite the recent trend.

What would you like to know? Probation period is 6 months, you can expect an average salary of 40K EUR as far as I know, that would leave you with 20K EUR per annum after tax and deduction of social benefits.

Let me know if you need more information.

mips
February 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Probation period is 6 months, you can expect an average salary of 40K EUR as far as I know, that would leave you with 20K EUR per annum after tax and deduction of social benefits.

I would have expected countries in europe to have higer average salaries than that. Is this the norm across europe?

anita sharma
February 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
for more details please visit it.
http://www.mastersmindtechnologies.com/jobarea

wieman01
February 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I would have expected countries in europe to have higer average salaries than that. Is this the norm across europe?
For beginner, yes. That's quite normal. That does not include bonus though. It would double in matter of 5 years I would reckon. If you are a consultant.

jespdj
February 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm in the Netherlands.

I see mixed messages in the media here. Some companies are laying off people in large numbers as hasn't happened in decades (for example, a bank which is laying off 2700 employees). Some media say that many companies are postponing IT projects and that external IT consultants are being sent away, but I also read messages that say there's enough work for certain IT jobs - for example for web application developers there's more than enough work in 2009.

I've started as an independent consultant (Java software developer) since 1 January this year. My current contract is until 1 May. I'll have to find a new project for the time after that.

There will probably be less work for IT people overall, but I think that for experienced software developers there's always work to do.

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
@wieman01
thanks for the input, well, since last year, i was targeting a job in bosch (or bosch rexroth), i see the company going strong because its not in the stock market also fraport, but as of now, i'm still weighing my options depending on your options...:P

i also know about the salary average, because my uncle works as a software engineer there in bosch...the only thing i'm concerned is, if i'm able to get a job there, as a fresh graduate, and from an asian school...usually here, during the probation, they do conduct bootcamps and training first...is it also the same there?

wieman01
February 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Bosch is a very conservative company as far as I know. Lack of German might be a problem, so you'll have to catch up, but I don't think that'll be a problem.

Bosch is also suffering from the global downturn, in particular in the car industry. Though you are right in that it's more independent as it isn't a listed company.

Yes, during probation there'd be all sorts of training, but mostly on the job. :-) Expect to delve into the job right away. Whether they prefer German graduate over foreign ones, I cannnot tell to be frank. But language might be a stumbling block, not sure.

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
i'm still learning my german (or rather reviewing it) because i been also warned by the german embassy here (hehe), they didn't even want to issue my passport because it was delayed for 10yrs...haha

mmm, maybe only my english is my edge for the moment...mmm, i'll be scared if it were i were to directly delve in to work, especially when all the tools are in german...

oh, how many years all in all does an average german must take to finish until college, because here, when you 17, your already college, by 20, your already graduate...so maybe, we have that as a weakness since i hear that they still have vocational courses before college...

mips
February 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
oh, how many years all in all does an average german must take to finish until college, because here, when you 17, your already college, by 20, your already graduate...so maybe, we have that as a weakness since i hear that they still have vocational courses before college...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Germany

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
why didn't i just used wikipedia? haha...thanks for the link, saved me from having to execute a few keystrokes...hehe

wieman01
February 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The link is interesting, but not too helpful I guess. ;-) I know the German eduction system isn't the most competitive on the planet.

Nowadways student tend to be a lot younger when they graduate. I would say something in the range of 21 to 23. For a bachelor that is. So the education system has caught up with internation standards.

You should not be too young to apply, however, your qualifications will be important. What sort of IT guy are you? What tools, languages, development techniques have you learned and are ready to apply? That's the sort of questions that will be of interest.

konqueror7
February 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i'm 21, turning 22 this april...my primary focus is of now in java and linux...currently i'm still doing a freelance work here for a corporation, involving mysql, java, and jpa...i also know c# (intermediate), c(beginner), PHP (created 2 webapps, both my a project and for my project study, so intermediate-advanced)...currently, i'm still learning about JSP and struts...reviewring my design patterns and all...since we formed development teams in our school and in engage to external clients, i've always been assigned as developer, but sometimes more of a guy who know a little things of each...

i started this thread because i was not confident about my skills, and so i wanted in a way, to set a guideline if i should stay here or go there...

wieman01
March 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
The skills matter of course, but it's also a question of attitude & courage, the willingness to try out something new. Being 21 you have little to lose, and even if you lack skills, you have plenty of time to learn them.

What's most important when it comes to a job, is that you know what you want to do. Don't sit there not being to explain why you came in the first place. Know what you want, and go for it! I am sure you have the wits to learn the rest.

konqueror7
March 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
thanks for that...i think the only thing that keeps me to learn new things is my lack of confidence that i can do something...honestly, i'm not that kind of developer who solves a algorithm in one go, i'm a person who likes to think about it first...

thats what also my mother told me, its all about attitude...i actually already passed a job interview here, but i refused the offer because my father was coming home for 5yrs...that sort of gave me a little boost...

also, i'm a bit worried about my resume, what should i put in it, because what i know in germany they require a "lebenlauf" or something...

thanks again for giving your inputs, greatly appreciated...