PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Sunbird needs developers to stay alive

andrewabc
February 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Direct link to blog post (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/2009/02/calendar_project_at_a_critical.html)

Link to blog with updates of this development (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/)

So do people use sunbird or lightening? Lightening will still be developed, so it is not being completely shut down, just the sunbird branch.

I used sunbird on windows. I tried sunbird on 8.04 I think and it would not work. It installed (synaptic) and everything but it kept giving errors and looked ugly/messed up when opened.

I havn't used thunderbird in years (hence don't use lightening), since gmail works fine. Although I will be backing up gmail with thunderbird at some point.

Polygon
February 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
sunbird doesn't even work on windows vista. Vista has been out for 2 or so years and it just doesn't even work. Yeah, i'm sure to support such a good program *rolls eyes*

i dont want it to die, but its already pretty much the worst project out of mozilla's offerings

glotz
February 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I used Sunbird lately on Hardy and it worked pretty nicely. It was version 0.9 which actually looked like they're close to 1.0. It's a real shame should it go belly up.

Tristam Green
February 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I use the Lightning plugin over Sunbird. I tried Sunbird when Lightning was still in its fledgling stages (re: buggy, took up too much real estate in the T-bird window), but I recently re-downloaded the Lightning plugin for T-bird along with the Google Calendar location plugin, synced my Google Calendars with Lightning/T-bird, and haven't looked back.

imo, Sunbird is unnecessary at this point and Lightning should become a standard extension of Thunderbird.

super breadfish
February 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
sunbird doesn't even work on windows vista. Vista has been out for 2 or so years and it just doesn't even work. Yeah, i'm sure to support such a good program *rolls eyes*

i dont want it to die, but its already pretty much the worst project out of mozilla's offerings

Sunbird works fine on Vista Home Premium for me.

I hope it doesn't die. I use Sunbird on my netbook every day. Having to install Thunderbird just for Lightning would be a pain.

Dragonbite
February 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I use Thunderbird w/Lightening so I connect to my Gmail account (via IMAP), connect to my Calendar (bi-directional) and even synch my Google Contacts.

I have this set up on the desktop and laptop at home so that whichever machine I am using I get my emal/calendar/contacts without having to worry about which computer I downloaded it on.

I don't, though, install Lightening from the Ubuntu repositories. Instead I install Thunderbird and then manually add the Lightning and Google Add-Ons from the Mozilla site.

geoken
February 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think the demand for a standalone calendar (separate from an email suite) is pretty low. Like most others, I use the Thunderbird/Lightning combo with all the google syncing features (calendar + contacts-zimbra).

Polygon
February 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Sunbird works fine on Vista Home Premium for me.

I hope it doesn't die. I use Sunbird on my netbook every day. Having to install Thunderbird just for Lightning would be a pain.

it does not work on either of my computers running windows vista...which means its broken. (google vista and sunbird and you see a lot of other people with the same problem)