PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank Partition list...

Midnitewolf
February 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, first off i'll give a few details about my installation. I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.10, most recent one. I downloaded and burned the .iso image onto a bootable cd. I have over 100 gigs free space on my hdd, and about 3 gigs of ram, and my normal OS is windows vista 64 (quad core phenom proc)

Im trying to install ubuntu, but when i reach step 4, the partitions list is totally blank, and its impossible to proceed beyond this point. I googled around for some help but the only answers i found were totally chinese to me, something about going to a shell and entering a slash command, which i couldnt understand for the life of me.

I just want to install ubuntu as a secondary OS for when im running certain programs.

Any help out there? (and please explain in detail, im not much of a pc whiz with linux)

taurus
February 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think you mean something like open a terminal and run this command.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

sudo fdisk -l
That would be a lower case letter L, not number 1.

Midnitewolf
February 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I think you mean something like open a terminal and run this command.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

sudo fdisk -l
That would be a lower case letter L, not number 1.

what would that do though? Thats not deleting or messing up my original windows is it? I want to have 2 OS', and one time a long time ago, i accidentally used some command like that that destroyed one of the OS i had on my system

pw_f100_220
February 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM
fdisk -l will just list your partitions. no actual action takes place. very helpful in many cases

Mark Phelps
February 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry for a basic question ... but is it "free" space (as inside a partition), or "unpartitioned" space (as in not partitioned). Folks here have used the same term for both situations.

If it's unpartitioned space, you could download a GParted LiveCD, burn it, boot from it, and partition the empty space as Ext3. The Ubuntu installer should then see it just fine.

Since you're using Vista, I trust you have a Vista DVD to boot from in case there are problems? If not, suggest you visit the NeoSoft forums to download a Recovery CD. They have both 32-bit and 64-bit available. If anything happens to your Vista OS partition, you will need this to boot and do Startup Repair to get Vista working again.

Midnitewolf
March 2nd, 2009, 02:01 AM
i ran this sudo command, absolutely nothing happened. It just gave me a new line to enter text in

anything else i could do?