PDA

View Full Version : What have you done so far with your Ubuntu?

kenweill
December 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Me?

When I first used Ubuntu, all I can say is: What the heck is this? Whats this? Whats this for? Its because Im new to Linux. Particularly to Ubuntu.

Then I installed it in the office. 3 computers. IBM ThinkCentre A50. I dual boot it with Windows XP.

One thing i've noticed running Ubuntu is, for about an hour, It hangs. Or stops responding. Or takes a while to finish a command. Weird.

Then I got into the forum. Yes, here I am. I can ask for help.

Luckily, someone in the forum, more than one really, has the same problem. When one got the solution, he/she posted it. Applied the solution in my machine, and here it is, it works fine now. No hang up.

The second problem I have is internet connection. I can connect the Workstations to the server, that shares the internet connection, but I can't use Ubuntu as the server. The connection is windows based.

What I did is have a research about it.

What I've done so far with my internet connection is I installed VMware Player. I installed WinXP inside Ubuntu using the VMware Player. Connect to the Internet through it, and here I am, connected to the internet using Ubuntu, but of course, using WinXP actually to connect to the internet. Its very very slow. Running both Linux and WinXP at the same time, using 256 MB of memory. It realy sucks. But my purpose in here is to connect just to connect to the internet. Hidding the XP(running). If ever theres a raid, for pirated software, its very easy to delete or hide WinXP. (hehehehe)

One thing I don't like(or lets just say, not used to) in Ubuntu, is GNOME. I tried to download Kubuntu, for the fact that it uses KDE which is almost looks like windows. But I can't install Kubuntu due to some base installation error. All I ever wanted is to use KDE.

Luckily, again, I found a solution. Through Synaptic, I have succesfully installed KDE alongside with GNOME, in Ubuntu. Now, I don't have to download Kubuntu in order for me to use KDE. I can easily switch to GNOME or KDE, whenever I like it. But I like KDE. Other users use GNOME, but not me.

I have also, installed the new version of Firefox, 1.5.

Before, I never thought I can do all this. Its just a matter of reading. Trial and error.

Thanks to the Ubuntu community. I've learned alot from this forum. And I want to learn more.

So far, this is what I have done with my Ubuntu.

How about you? Whats your story or experience running Ubuntu?

chimera
December 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Six months ago, I downloaded the 5.04 ISO. I tried running it with Daemon-tools only to have a HTML decument pop up telling me I need to boot from a CD. So I burned the .iso file to a CD. To my surprise, it didn't boot. I tried asking for help on linuxforums.org, where I was told I needed to unrar the .iso and burn all it's contents to a CD. I did so, and booted. To my surprise, it worked. I admit I was a bit afraid of installing it, since the guy who gave me the link and told me all about Ubuntu said installation is quite difficult and I should wait for him to come help me. But I really didn't have the patience, so I said what the hell I'll give it a try. And I did. And everythng seemed to work :D I had to re-install it 3 more times in the same week because I broke my xorg.conf file when trying to install NVIDIA drivers, but I got it right the fourth time. I haven't had any problems since then.
Stuff I've done so far with Ubuntu:
-Install it and get it to dual-boot with windows in my fist try
-Set up networking
-Install graphics drivers
-Try KDE, Xfce and Fluxbox, only to notice GNOME is the best and uninstall them.
-Upgrade to 5.10
-Download well over 100gb and upload approx. twice as much with aMule
-Delete my windows partition while listening to Sentenced - Vengeance is mine

:D

sapo
December 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Thats kinda hard to describe everything i ve done with ubuntu since warty, it would become a book if i write it all :D