PDA

View Full Version : about yahoo messenger source

pedroezsa
February 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
is the source of Y!M client free?? is it possible to get the building source so that we can modify it as we like?

i'm trying to make the message that sent in Y!M being encrypted for my final assignment, so i guess it would be better if i know the source well, or probably should i build my own Y!M client? but not like the real one?

edit: i found out that there's not direct security added to Y!M since we have to add another software to make it encrypted, and my purpose is to make the messenger plus the encrypted included.
btw is there any such as encrypted message in pidgin?? why didn't i think about it before?? :))

ps : sorry for the messed up english, not good in it :D

PythonPower
February 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yahoo Messenger is (apparently) proprietary according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Messenger). So that means its source will not be available.

For more help, I suggest you give a little more background information. Good luck with your assignment. :)

monkeyking
February 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Pidgen is opensource and has suppport for this yahoo stuff.
It might be easier to hack this.

soltanis
February 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
You may also consider Telepathy, the pluggable instant messaging framework that operates over D-Bus. I think it has support for Yahoo! Messenger.

happysmileman
February 26th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The Yahoo client source is closed, but the source code to Pidgin and Kopete (The Gnome and KDE IM clients respectively) is open, so either of them has code implementing Yahoo's features, take your pick.
As long as it's just plain text messages it's perfect, but some advanced stuff like camera support may be lacking or buggy. (I don't use Yahoo messenger so not too sure)

cb951303
February 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
the client itself is not open source but the protocol is reverse engineered and made public (although I'm sure it's not 100% complete)