PDA

View Full Version : Safari 4's Tabs on Top

Tycho Quad
February 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Alright, I saw screenshots, and liked what I saw, so I started up my XP in my virtual machine, and had a play around with Tabs on top, and all I have to say is, when can I get this system wide for Ubuntu???

It makes tabs and windows interchangeable seamlessly, which makes sense because they are usually treated as the same thing anyway. it provides and easy to spot way to drag a tab about so you don't drag a tab away when you want to move a window and vice versa, it frees up window space, as current title bar implimentations waste title bar space when a tab bar is present, and I really don't see any downsides to it.

Would it be possible for someone to write a program which does this, or would you need to make a new window border program to replace whichever one your using? would it be able to use Metacity skins?

spupy
February 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Fluxbox has tabs on all windows. You can group window together, and switch between the windows in a group by clicking the tab or using the keyboard shortcut.

This animated gif explains it:
http://www.numlock.ch/screenshots/fluxbox_window_grouping_slim.gif

Is this what you are looking for?

Tycho Quad
March 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Mostly yeah, but it's not the same.

I would probably break half my system if I tried running that in conjunction with gnome, as it doesn't seem to behave as a window decorator

It also doesn't integrate the tabs into the window titlebar, rather it tags them on the side which defeats the whole purpose

And I can't keep my metacity theme (not a requirement, but would be nice)

spupy
March 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Mostly yeah, but it's not the same.

I would probably break half my system if I tried running that in conjunction with gnome, as it doesn't seem to behave as a window decorator

It also doesn't integrate the tabs into the window titlebar, rather it tags them on the side which defeats the whole purpose

And I can't keep my metacity theme (not a requirement, but would be nice)

You can use Fluxbox instead of metacity, while still using gnome. But then you wont be able to use compiz.
Also, you can have the tabs integrated into the titlebar.

If you are using Compiz, there is a plugin that lets you group windows the same way, but I don't remember if it displays tabs.

Tycho Quad
March 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, lack of compiz would be a killer. I actually have functional uses for it.

The grouping plugin for compiz in theory works the same way, but it is purely keyboard controlled, and there is no way to constantly see what windows you have attached to the currently visible one.

EDIT: Whoa, actually, the compiz plugin is pretty damn good. there IS mouse control, All I gotta do is work out how to make it open new windows in tabs and I'm set.