PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from ubuntu 8.10 i686 to 8.10 AMD64

grimanda
February 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Dear All...

I am newbie to ubuntu, but currently i have ubuntu 8.10 i686 on my laptop, but actually my laptop is AMD64, so i would like to upgrade it to AMD64,

But, i have installed so many software/application/plugin, how is the most effective way to upgrade my ubuntu to AMD64 ? is there any other way to upgrade it from current condition, without full-reinstallation ?

Kindly need your advice.

Thankyou

wiebeest
February 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I am newbie to ubuntu, but currently i have ubuntu 8.10 i686 on my laptop, but actually my laptop is AMD64, so i would like to upgrade it to AMD64,

Dear grimanda,

Although you cpu may be an AMD64, that doesn't necessary mean you need to use Ubuntu 64bit. There's not so much benefit to be gained performance-wise moving to 64 for now, only many issues and extra things to setup as many apps are not 64bit. Search the boards here and elsewere on the net and you will probably come to the same conclusion.

So unless you have +4gb main memory I advise you to save yourself a lot of trouble and stay with your current i686 install.

I have an AMD64 myself and also use 32bit (i686) mainstream Ubuntu to my satisfaction.

Best wishes,

Wiebeest

grimanda
February 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Wiebeest...

Thx for your advice..., i'll keep that in mind.

Regards