PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dimension 8200 RDRAM - RIDICULOUS

StephenOK
February 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hi, folks:

Just a caveat about this particular Dell model. I deleted Microcrap from a customers' Dell and installed Ubuntu 8.10. The system only came with 256mb of RDRAM. Being that this was the first time that I ran into this type of ram. I contacted Dell support to find out why I couldn't find any reasonably priced ram from any manufacturer.
The support 'tech' at Dell sent me a link to a page where a '3rd party' vendor wanted $589.99 for a 1gb RDRAM kit!!!:shock:
Unbelievable!!!
I've generally never had much of problem with Dell products; of course, with exception of some of their laptops, which overheat and shut down quite often. However, after manufacturing faulty MB's and passing the buck over by including this Rambus crap into their systems to make up for recall costs, my thoughts and respect for the company has dramatically changed.
In a day and age when I was able to upgrade my Mac G5 Quad tower to 6.5gb and my MacBookPro to 2gb for less than $80.00, Dell's inclusion of such expensive Ram is an absolute outrage.

mcduck
February 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That's not Dell's fault, blame Intel who made the decision of using RDRAM with some of their chipsets. Del, just like any other PC manufacturers, only gave customers the choice of buying such machines.

Although very fast, RDRAM (like all other Rambus technologies) is very expensive. It's also quite rare, which makes it even more expensive these days.

Of course who ever bought the machine in the first place also made the choice of getting a computer that uses RDRAM instead of more common memory technologies. I'm quite sure the machine's specs clearly state that it uses RDRAM.

StephenOK
February 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
That's not Dell's fault, blame Intel who made the decision of using RDRAM with some of their chipsets. Del, just like any other PC manufacturers, only gave customers the choice of buying such machines.

Although very fast, RDRAM (like all other Rambus technologies) is very expensive. It's also quite rare, which makes it even more expensive these days.

Of course who ever bought the machine in the first place also made the choice of getting a computer that uses RDRAM instead of more common memory technologies. I'm quite sure the machine's specs clearly state that it uses RDRAM.

Sure, but that really isn't the point. Most people that buy PC's don't know the difference between SDRAM, DDR, RDRAM and DRAM.

However, when you go onto Dell's technical support page and talk with 'tech' and they send you link to 1gb kit for $589.99, you have draw the line. If you do a simple google search, you can find packages of Rambus ram a lot cheaper, but still fairly costly.

I know Kingston discontinued manufacturing this ram, too. As for Intel, yes, you're right. They were trying to recoup the cost of the recalls for their M.B.'s.

Mark Phelps
February 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Wow -- that much!!

Did a quick Google on RDRAM it looks like it's strictly the Dell RDRAM that is so costly, but even then, their prices are less than what Dell quoted you.

I'd be wary of any PC vendor's quotes. I needed to add SDRAM to my Fujitsu laptop and their quote was at least twice what everyone else wanted.

Nomad68
March 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hi I am new here but I wanted to tell you. I bought 256 of this ram about a week ago from ebay for 12 bucks. If your patient you can find it but yes it is insanely priced. I have an old 8200 here I want to put ubuntu on (haven't tried linux yet) but I only have 512 ram now so I'm not sure how it will run.

Anyway, calm down and look around on ebay lol. Wow I thought I was the only one who got that mad :)